Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint T2 vs Comp M5 on a shotgun

Aimpoint T2 vs Comp M5 on a shotgun

Overthinking a bit here but there are too many good minds here for me to not take advantage of the opportunity to ask a question.

With the move back to the rural area I have been becoming more familiar with shotguns in defensive roles. This forum has been very helpful. Reading through the various threads on illuminations solutions on shotguns, I was reminded of the impact of shotgun recoil on light batteries, particularly the longer 188650 batteries.

Would recoil be a reason to select a T2 with the lighter pancake type battery over the M5 with the longitudinal mounted AAA battery for shotgun applications?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Overthinking a bit here but there are too many good minds here for me to not take advantage of the opportunity to ask a question.

With the move back to the rural area I have been becoming more familiar with shotguns in defensive roles. This forum has been very helpful. Reading through the various threads on illuminations solutions on shotguns, I was reminded of the impact of shotgun recoil on light batteries, particularly the longer 188650 batteries.

Would recoil be a reason to select a T2 with the lighter pancake type battery over the M5 with the longitudinal mounted AAA battery for shotgun applications?
    Recoil can hammer everything. I've seen Aimpoints break on shotguns...but that's the exception rather than the rule, and I'm reasonably sure the optics in question had some sort of manufacturing issue that the shotgun just brought to the fore.

I'd be less concerned about the battery than the overall form factor of the optic. The M5 is a fine optic, but it's going to mount higher and make getting a good mount on the shotgun more difficult than the T2 in something like an Aridus or Scalarworks mount.

For me that's the reason to go with one of the micro style Aimpoint optics as opposed to the M5 on a shotgun.
    3/15/2016

Thanks TC, that is EXACTLY the kind of information I needed.

Any particular reason why you are not considering something even smaller, like the Acro P-2?

On Garand Thumb's youtube video about the Benelli M4, he stated that had problems with the T1 going down on his shotgun. He did not elaborate why but it made me hesitate a bit in going with that model.

I have T1 with a ADM low mount on my Benelli M4. Only about 150 rounds of full power 1oz slugs, no issues. Holds zero perfectly.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    To be honest, given the penchant for the AA style battery guts to dislodge from the optic and come out (happens a lot on the Comp M4) I think that's another good reason to stick with the micro style optics on the shotgun.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    To be honest, given the penchant for the AA style battery guts to dislodge from the optic and come out (happens a lot on the Comp M4) I think that's another good reason to stick with the micro style optics on the shotgun.
    Dang! I’ve not heard about that, but my only CompM4 experience is with ARs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Any particular reason why you are not considering something even smaller, like the Acro P-2?
    There are several manufacturers which make direct mounts for aimpoint micro and RMR pattern Optics for Beretta in Benelli Remington and Mossberg shotguns.
    I’m not aware of any that are making a direct mount for the ACRO. Having an optic plus adapter plate sitting on top of a Picatinny rail designed to raise the optic above factory rear ghost ring sites usually requires a raised cheekpiece be added to your stock.

Long story short direct mounts are simpler more durable and the lower the optic the better it works with shotguns.

You're right, I wrongly assumed or hoped that the manufacturers of these low-profile direct mounts would quickly adopt the Acro platform. I think then the Acro would be an ideal red dot for shotgun use (robust, compact, closed emitter, ...)

User Tag List