Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Havana Syndrome” anyone know more?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    (SNIP) .... But it's hardly the only reasonable theory at play. There is no definitive conclusion on the cause of the issue, and to seize upon the few reports that make the other side look bad, flatly ignoring the lack of definitive consensus overall, is straight stupidity and/or partisanship.
    Sorry if I missed it, but where is the "definitive consensus" on any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but where is the "definitive consensus" on any of this?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about? I'm talking about how the video linked pointed to the JASON report as having of solved the source of Havana syndrome by having definitively identified the auditory symptoms as being crickets, when there clearly is no definitive conclusion to draw given the divergence in analysis of the cause of Havana syndrome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about? I'm talking about how the video linked pointed to the JASON report as having of solved the source of Havana syndrome by having definitively identified the auditory symptoms as being crickets, when there clearly is no definitive conclusion to draw given the divergence in analysis of the cause of Havana syndrome.
    My bad. I misread your earlier post. I thought you were implying that there was some sort of definitive consensus about Havana Syndrome that commentator was ignoring. I clearly didn't catch the "lack of" part.
    That lack of definitive consensus about anything related Havana Symptom and the willingness of the press to propagate the story without any real scrutiny is odd. Too bad Burn Pit Exposure Syndrome doesn't get the same level of attention and willingness to help. There was even more pushback to 9/11 Toxic Dust Exposure Zones. There must be a James Bond level of intrigue that comes with the Havana Syndrome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Related article summary here:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30183509/

I worked briefly as a summer intern at the Naval Research Laboratory in DC. One time, we were headed out to a jack-up barge in the Chesapeake Bay to setup some data collection equipment, and my supe advised me NOT to walk in front of the large shore-based antenna transmitter array if I wanted to have kids.
    Someone I worked with used to tell me that when he was in the Airforce that they would fry birds on the tarmac with targeting radar.
    Don't know if it was true or not but was a good story.

Too bad Burn Pit Exposure Syndrome doesn't get the same level of attention and willingness to help.
    That's handled through the VA and people suffering from it have a presumptive disability for it, so I'm not sure what you mean.

There was even more pushback to 9/11 Toxic Dust Exposure Zones.
    What information set are you basing that on? The 9/11 victim compensation fund was created almost immediately after 9/11, before the year was out. Congress only recently just created a victim compensation fund for Havana Syndrome even though it's been happening for years, and for the first few years people were being told they were crazy and to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Seems crazy on first blush.
    The USGs stance has switched from first telling people they're crazy to now having shuttered at least one diplomatic post, creating a task force to investigate it, and congress just recently created a special compensation fund for its victims.

Make of that what you will....just don't make the mistake that people tend to make when they think "I don't have the information, therefore there is no information" like in the article that @Crawls shared.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's handled through the VA and people suffering from it have a presumptive disability for it, so I'm not sure what you mean.
    Many of the Soldiers and Marines that are suffering from Burn Pit Syndrome have been denied disability by the VA and it's a story that has not gained traction in the media despite the comparatively obvious cause and effect and the number of service members involved. That it pertains to a different Department of the Govt is immaterial - the routine media focus on the Havana Syndrome and lack of basic questioning about a clearly vague and unexplainable phenomena is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What information set are you basing that on? The 9/11 victim compensation fund was created almost immediately after 9/11, before the year was out. Congress only recently just created a victim compensation fund for Havana Syndrome even though it's been happening for years, and for the first few years people were being told they were crazy and to get lost.
    Agreed that the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund was established rather quickly, however first responders and construction workers who assisted with the response were denied financial compensation for medical claims for years. It took a class action Lawsuit against the city of New York that was settled in 2007 for money to start flowing. The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation act wasn't introduced until 2006 and not signed into law until 2011 - a Decade after 9/11 - and then there were even more battles on how to fund it. IIRC, it wasn't until 2016 that that the fund was fully funded.

Marc Polymeropoulos, former Senior CIA Operations Officer, in his book, Clarity in Crisis, his career, and his experiences with "the Havana Syndrome."

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    American diplomats with brain injury.

Isn't that a job qualification/prerequisite with the current administration (and many prior ones)?
    Havana syndrome exists, has physically damaged a fair number of folks now, across multiple agencies, countries, and Posts.

There is not a lot out in the public domain about it, but based on the whole of government response to the incidents, you should feel pretty confident that it's probably not mass hallucinations or crickets...

User Tag List