Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Assailant with bow and arrows kills 5 people in Norway

https://www.policemag.com/359884/ari...hot-with-arrow

From 2107 in one of our neighboring cities an Officer was wounded with a field tip. When it says he exited and shot the Officer what actually happened was the suspect was hiding on the roof of his house. The Officer was on rear perimeter using his car for cover. The suspect was able to hit him launching over the house behind him.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Pics of the archer practicing show him using one of the inexpensive traditional three piece take down bows like those made in Korea, China, and Italy. A wood handle, laminated wood and fiberglass limbs that bolt on. Do not know if that type of bow was used in the shootings.

Most have a max draw weight of 50 lbs at 28 inches of draw. That's enough for deer and black bear. A 35 lb target bow can cast a flight arrow almost 500 yds, a 50 lb bow just over 600yds. A friend of mine just set a new world record with an 800 yard shot from a modern Field bow. The record for unlimited conventional Flight bow is over 1,300 yds, just a bit farther than the modern Compound bow record.

For comparison, the farthest anybody ever sent an arrow from an English longbow was about 450 yds with flight arrows, and just over 300 yds w heavier war arrows. The modern distance record with hunting broadheads is just under 800 yds with a modern compound bow and just over 500 yds with a conventional bow.

The modern crossbow distance record is over 2,000 yds with a flight arrow.

A modern compound handbow/crossbow of 85/175 lb draw weight can exceed the performance of a medieval longbow of 170 lbs and crossbow of 1200 lbs.

Oddly enough while 6-9 inches of sandbag will stop most 5.56/7.62 FMJ rifle bullets, an arrow will zip right through that no problem. The puncture resistant body armor will stop most arrows, as will most of the heavier soft body armor. Even target points from lightweight school bows can be deadly enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    .... the performance of a medieval longbow of 170 lbs...
    Good grief, that took a *man* to use repetitively! In my teens, my bow was 60 lbs and when I briefly flirted with archery again in my late 20's, my bow was set at the store for 80 lbs just because I wanted to say I had an 80 lb bow. It wasn't a lot of fun to shoot.

This thread (the part about the bows, not the part about killing people with them) is renewing my interest in archery again, though. My Dad and I used to shoot a lot together. I haven't even opened my bowcase in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hmmm... It's almost like the defensive hardware needs to be carried so it's present at the time and place the threat arises.
    You mean we don't get to pick and choose when bad people will do bad things?

I would like to speak with the manager!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    This thread (the part about the bows, not the part about killing people with them) is renewing my interest in archery again, though. My Dad and I used to shoot a lot together. I haven't even opened my bowcase in 15 years.
    Come back.

You can shoot for fun, or be as competitive as you like. From historical traditional, to modern traditional, to modern compounds there is a game for you. Target archery indoors and out, field archery, and 3D. I've done OK, and had a good year this year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Come back.
    Do I have to wear a dress?

Site Supporter
    It's European!

Do I have to wear a dress?
    Nope.

Good grief, that took a *man* to use repetitively!.
    I don't have a citation handy, but I believe I've read that archaeologists can tell an English long bowman's skeleton from other humans of the era by the extra bone growth/density in the arms and shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I don't have a citation handy, but I believe I've read that archaeologists can tell an English long bowman's skeleton from other humans of the era by the extra bone growth/density in the arms and shoulders.
    Based on the remains found on the sunken flagship the Mary Rose. Bows estimated up to 180 pounds, with most in the 140-160 range. Most of the arrows from 28-30 inches in length.

Not just the English.

Even 10th century Magyar archers can be identified by the differences in skeletal structure. At Pressburg 20,000 Magyar archers destroyed 80,000 German infantry and cavalry.

Or Mongol. The 13th century papal delegation to the Khan's court reported Mongol archers using bows of 166 lbs from the saddle. Mongol bows outranged English bows by 100 yds or more.

The English did not use the heaviest bows and arrows; that would be the Chinese. Manchu bows went up to 240 lbs, and Manchu war arrows were longer and heavier than English arrows. Manchu arrows up to 40 inches and 1,800 grains.
    Last edited by MichaelOrick; 10-16-2021 at 10:26 PM.

User Tag List