Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Assailant with bow and arrows kills 5 people in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Any info out there about how IIIa soft armor performs against "active archers"?

Theres a number of videos on youtube testing body armor and shields (riot vs ballistic is another factor) against various arrow types and draw weights, as well as some crossbows. Broadheads seem to help penetration over the target or plain field points, but results still seem mixed,
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Assault bow:

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Think about it.

The current expert opinion regarding handgun wounding states that the only damage done is that which is crushed/cut by the bullet itself. All of the energy/shock/temporary cavity plays no role.

Typical broadheads I use for deer hunting cut up to 2 inches wide, and are traveling at 400 fps. Compare that wound channel to a .45 wide bullet channel.

cc
    Good god, what is your set up? I’m pulling 70 pounds and chrono ~245 fps with a 580 grain total arrow weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Good god, what is your set up? I’m pulling 70 pounds and chrono ~245 fps with a 580 grain total arrow weight.
    My bad. I should have mentioned that I'm shooting a crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My bad. I should have mentioned that I'm shooting a crossbow.
    Gotcha. That makes sense.

nzz.ch/international/aufgefallen/nicht-ohne-meine-dienstwaffe-1.18650923 (11/23/2015):
    Was dem Arzt das Stethoskop und dem Koch die Kelle, ist dem Polizisten die Dienstwaffe – mit dem Unterschied, dass diese ihr berufstypisches Attribut selten in die Hand nehmen müssen. Eine der weltweit wenigen Ausnahmen ist Norwegen: Dessen Polizeikorps verfügt zwar über Waffen, diese liegen aber sicher verwahrt im Safe des Polizeibüros und – nach dem Anschlag in Oslo und dem Massaker auf Utöya – in plombierten Etuis im Dienstwagen. Wegen der erhöhten Bedrohung durch Islamisten erhielten die 5800 uniformierten Polizistinnen und Polizisten vor Jahresfrist eine Ausnahmebewilligung, um temporär Pistolen am Halfter zu tragen. Nach mehrmaliger Verlängerung gab die Polizeibehörde kürzlich bekannt, dass die Polizei angesichts der verbesserten Bedrohungslage wieder zu einem waffenlosen Dienst übergehen werde.
    Deepl translation:
    What the stethoscope is to the doctor and the ladle to the cook is the service weapon to the policeman - with the difference that they rarely have to take their profession-typical attribute into their hands. One of the world's few exceptions is Norway: Its police corps does have weapons, but they are safely stored in the safe of the police office and - after the attack in Oslo and the massacre on Utöya - in sealed cases in the police car. Because of the increased threat from Islamists, the 5,800 uniformed police officers were granted an exemption a year ago to temporarily carry holstered pistols. After several extensions, the police authority recently announced that, in view of the improved threat situation, the police would return to unarmed service.
    The source NZZ, a newspaper from Switzerland, has a relatively good reputation among moderately conservative people in the German-speaking part of Europe. (I would not say, it's good. But perhaps there is nothing better in EU mainstream media.)
    Last edited by P30; 10-15-2021 at 07:20 AM.

It was only a matter of time. Now all of the copycat shooters are formulating their plans.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Yeah, a solid hit with a modern broadhead is gnarly.

The arrows have LEDs on them?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The arrows have LEDs on them?
    Some folks use nocks that glow, or have fiber optic rods in them, so they can watch the arrow’s trajectory and more easily mark their hits.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Sounds like the mass stabbing in London a few years back. Went on for something like 8 minutes, and then within about six seconds of the first person arriving on the scene with an actual firearm, there were three terrorists on the ground bleeding out.
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    nzz.ch/international/aufgefallen/nicht-ohne-meine-dienstwaffe-1.18650923 (11/23/2015):

Deepl translation:
    What the stethoscope is to the doctor and the ladle to the cook is the service weapon to the policeman - with the difference that they rarely have to take their profession-typical attribute into their hands. One of the world's few exceptions is Norway: Its police corps does have weapons, but they are safely stored in the safe of the police office and - after the attack in Oslo and the massacre on Utöya - in sealed cases in the police car. Because of the increased threat from Islamists, the 5,800 uniformed police officers were granted an exemption a year ago to temporarily carry holstered pistols. After several extensions, the police authority recently announced that, in view of the improved threat situation, the police would return to unarmed service.
    The source NZZ, a newspaper from Switzerland, has a relatively good reputation among moderately conservative people in the German-speaking part of Europe. (I would not say, it's good. But perhaps there is nothing better in EU mainstream media.)
    Hmmm... It's almost like the defensive hardware needs to be carried so it's present at the time and place the threat arises.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List