Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Assailant with bow and arrows kills 5 people in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m with the people who’d rather take the 9mm odds than the broadhead odds. The only reason we don’t still use crossbows is rate of fire, onboard/carry ammo capacity, and range—not terminal effectiveness of the projectile.
    JoergSprave

Both on bows and crossbows.

Where’s the National Archery Association to remind us that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a bow and arrow is a good guy with a bow and arrow.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Based on the remains found on the sunken flagship the Mary Rose. Bows estimated up to 180 pounds, with most in the 140-160 range. Most of the arrows from 28-30 inches in length.

Not just the English.

Even 10th century Magyar archers can be identified by the differences in skeletal structure. At Pressburg 20,000 Magyar archers destroyed 80,000 German infantry and cavalry.

Or Mongol. The 13th century papal delegation to the Khan's court reported Mongol archers using bows of 166 lbs from the saddle. Mongol bows outranged English bows by 100 yds or more.

The English did not use the heaviest bows and arrows; that would be the Chinese. Manchu bows went up to 240 lbs, and Manchu war arrows were longer and heavier than English arrows. Manchu arrows up to 40 inches and 1,800 grains.
    Recurves go back a long way, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Recurves go back a long way, I see.
    To the Scythians iirc, about 700 BC to about 200 BC.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

After reading through this thread I'm hoping a bad guy with a B&A needs some mad skill to achieve minute of man at 100+ yards. Otherwise I'll have to switch my EDC to an AR pistol. What cyclic rate are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Where’s the National Archery Association to remind us that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a bow and arrow is a good guy with a bow and arrow.
    Their chief executive, Wayne Lappinghair, is busy robbing from the poor and giving to the rich.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    To the Scythians iirc, about 700 BC to about 200 BC.
    Even earlier.

The Yanghai Scythian bows are 3,000 years old.

Egyptian angular bows about 3,500 years old. King Tut's bow and bow case.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    After reading through this thread I'm hoping a bad guy with a B&A needs some mad skill to achieve minute of man at 100+ yards. Otherwise I'll have to switch my EDC to an AR pistol. What cyclic rate are we talking about?
    Depends on the bow's draw weight.

Mark Stretton, the world record holder, can get off 10 arrows in a minute with a 140 lb longbow, but not 20 in two minutes. A sustained rate of shooting at that weight is about 6 per minute.

Mounted archers (like Mihai Cozmei today) trained to shoot to the right and left from the saddle with lighter bows, and could get off 2-3 shots a second from the lightest war bows (66 lbs), slower as the weight goes up. A Roman/Parthian relic had an estimated draw weight of 66-77 lbs. That was enough to help kill 20,000, and capture 10,000, legionnaires at Carrhae.

The Manchu hunted everything from birds on the wing to rabbits to tigers from the saddle. The minimum weight for the emperor's guard and tiger hunts was 133 lbs. An 80 lb Manchu recurve can cast arrows as fast/far as a 120 lb longbow.

Still no match for a gun: William Dallas Bernard fought in the first Opium war in which many of the Qing soldiers used bows.
    "On this occasion one of the Chinese [Manchu] officers, with cool determination and a steady aim, deliberately discharged four arrows from his bow at Captain Hall, fortunately without effect. Had they been musket-balls, however, he could scarcely have escaped. A marine instantly raised his musket at the less fortunate Chinese officer : the aim was unerring, and he fell. An attempt was first made to save him for his coolness and courage ; but in the heat of an engagement it is impossible to control every man, nor is it probable that the officer would have allowed himself to be taken prisoner."
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MichaelOrick; 10-17-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Footage of the crossbowman being taken down has been leaked:

https://youtu.be/8ZKVCqLvAiY

I appologize for nothing.

Never mind; nobody killed with arrows, just some other "sharp object"... somebody told us so?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58956629

User Tag List