Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Assailant with bow and arrows kills 5 people in Norway

They weren't even broadheads. Pictures in European media show regular target shooting arrows with the little metal pointy tip.
    Rumor in several publications is that he also used a knife, has previously been under surveillance by Norwegian authorities, is a convert to the religion of peace, and apparently was just on his way to the Aloha Snackbar.

Now being reported as a Muslim convert who had been flagged for as being radicalized.
    Let's hope it's a one off vs the start of a series.
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/norway...radicalization

Sorry, @javemtr and I must have writing at the same time.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Modern broadheads are frighteningly lethal devices. People who don't hunt have likely never seen a deer double lunged with a carbon fiber arrow tipped with a modern broadhead from a modern bow. When you hit a deer and see it jump and move a couple of steps pumping huge gushers of blood out both sides of its chest and then wobble and fall over never understanding WTF just happened it convinces you that a broadhead anywhere to the torso of a person is probably a game over event.

Cutting tissue is far more efficient at making it bleed than crushing it.

If I had to make a choice, I'd rather take a 9mm to the chest than an arrow with a modern broadhead on it. As long as a 9mm doesn't hit a major artery and you get to a hospital reasonably quickly, you have a pretty high chance of survival. A broadhead not so much.

Video for reference:

3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    They weren't even broadheads. Pictures in European media show regular target shooting arrows with the little metal pointy tip.
    I wonder if that's pictures from the scene or the way our press puts pictures of AK-47's up on stories about someone shot with a handgun.
    3/15/2016

Any info out there about how IIIa soft armor performs against "active archers"?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Modern broadheads are frighteningly lethal devices. People who don't hunt have likely never seen a deer double lunged with a carbon fiber arrow tipped with a modern broadhead from a modern bow. When you hit a deer and see it jump and move a couple of steps pumping huge gushers of blood out both sides of its chest and then wobble and fall over never understanding WTF just happened it convinces you that a broadhead anywhere to the torso of a person is probably a game over event.

If I had to make a choice, I'd rather take a 9mm to the chest than an arrow with a modern broadhead on it. As long as a 9mm doesn't hit a major artery and you get to a hospital reasonably quickly, you have a pretty high chance of survival. A broadhead not so much.

Video for reference:

A fixed blade broadhead going 170fps from a 40lb trad bow will go completely through a deer if you don’t hit the shoulder or spine and and cut up way more stuff than any handgun round.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    I hate to say this but the incident is a natural experiment to see if more like this occur. The criminologists argue that the publicity incites others and provides templates for action. I recall some scenes from Hong Kong: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/17/hong...-fortress.html

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Video for reference:

Yeah, a solid hit with a modern broadhead is gnarly.

As someone who's spent over four decade studying such weapons............... shocked face.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I’m with the people who’d rather take the 9mm odds than the broadhead odds. The only reason we don’t still use crossbows is rate of fire, onboard/carry ammo capacity, and range—not terminal effectiveness of the projectile.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List