Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Assailant with bow and arrows kills 5 people in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Never mind; nobody killed with arrows, just some other "sharp object"... somebody told us so?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58956629
    Yea...I guess arrows aren't sharp objects?

I saw an article that said, "Norwegian authorities say victims were stabbed to death."

And I thought, "I mean, what IS an arrow with a broad head if not a damn high speed stabbing device?" For that matter that's all bullets are. Things that make holes and cause fluid to leak out.

Anyways, I am dubious to this claim and their claim that radicalization wasn't the motive. Again, it's like the "is an arrow a high speed knife?" Question. If the guy is off his rocker and becomes radicalized is it the mental illness or radicalization that does it?

For that matter - you probably are a bit off to become radicalized.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And I thought, "I mean, what IS an arrow with a broad head if not a damn high speed stabbing device?" For that matter that's all bullets are. Things that make holes and cause fluid to leak out.
    Name:  1f020a90c94a757ee3d804dbca94691b2675dc1c66f10452e262d1a1eba0fe0a_1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  33.1 KB

The history of the English Longbow and how it ties in with the eventual development of the Second Amendment and it's common law precedents makes for interesting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Name:  1f020a90c94a757ee3d804dbca94691b2675dc1c66f10452e262d1a1eba0fe0a_1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  33.1 KB

The history of the English Longbow and how it ties in with the eventual development of the Second Amendment and it's common law precedents makes for interesting reading.
    Dude. #1, good meme. #2, suggest a link for that reading—that does sound interesting.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

There were media photos going around at the time of the incident that showed that at least some of the arrows involved were blunt tip target (some marked "youth") as opposed to broad heads. The article in the BBC quoted local police that several people were injured by arrows in the beginning but the fatalities were caused by an edged weapon afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Dude. #1, good meme. #2, suggest a link for that reading—that does sound interesting.
    Couldn't suggest a link - a lot of good books on English common law spend a good bit of time on it. Really depends on how much time you have.

English common law is an interesting subject on its own. The evolution of rights is fascinating, especially nowadays when the term is so often manipulated. Turns out it's not the first time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Anyways, I am dubious to this claim and their claim that radicalization wasn't the motive. Again, it's like the "is an arrow a high speed knife?" Question. If the guy is off his rocker and becomes radicalized is it the mental illness or radicalization that does it?

For that matter - you probably are a bit off to become radicalized.
    I think you touch on a key point.

The key point here being "¿Por que no los dos?"

I suspect there's a comorbid factor here. Mental illness itself doesn't always lead to the willingness to commit violence on strangers. It's quite rare.

But the average well adjusted person doesn't go out stabbing people, either by hand or with high speed stabby thingies. So you could probably ascribe some type of mental illness to any person who goes out spree killing.

With there not being a lot of mental illnesses that lead to that being a possibility, and add the fact some people are just violent assholes or have very unrealistic or unhealthy views about what violence is, I think it's very likely that it may have been just the wrong collection of issues in mental health, personality and political beliefs that colluded to create this whole mess.

But then that's kind of what I think about any spree killing that takes place under almost any set of beliefs. Some people are vulnerable to malicious ideologies and willing to go all the way with it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I think you touch on a key point.

The key point here being "¿Por que no los dos?"

I suspect there's a comorbid factor here. Mental illness itself doesn't always lead to the willingness to commit violence on strangers. It's quite rare.

But the average well adjusted person doesn't go out stabbing people, either by hand or with high speed stabby thingies. So you could probably ascribe some type of mental illness to any person who goes out spree killing.

With there not being a lot of mental illnesses that lead to that being a possibility, and add the fact some people are just violent assholes or have very unrealistic or unhealthy views about what violence is, I think it's very likely that it may have been just the wrong collection of issues in mental health, personality and political beliefs that colluded to create this whole mess.

But then that's kind of what I think about any spree killing that takes place under almost any set of beliefs. Some people are vulnerable to malicious ideologies and willing to go all the way with it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Yes!

And thanks for putting into words so eloquently exactly what I was thinking. And hitting a key point - many, nay most people with diagnosed or undiagnosed mental illness have no compunction towards violence, particularly random violence. I think that's critically important for people to recognize and one reason I'm reticent to assign, "Oh they were just mentally ill", as the explanation for random acts of violence.

Hammertime
    Rot in hell to the perpetrator, all consolations to the families, and no disrespect to the victims, but when I heard this story, all I could think about was this sketch:

I saw a video of a longbowman shooting at a curiass with a 160 lb bow and bodkin points.
    He said he could shoot a 200 lb bow but would be knackered after six arrows.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Nope.
    Are there a bunch of mounted and charging French knights on the other side of the range?

User Tag List