Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Gruden Firing

Site Supporter
    I will take the Contra-the he had to be let go side.

1. His comportment/attitude/style/demeanor etc. has earned him no good will or benefit of the doubt. He is not perceived as being a particularly nice human being.

2. I would humbly assert that by 2011 if you are not living by the anything I send via Email/Text needs to pass the "I would never want to see that on the front page of the NYT/WSJ test," you are begging the world to kick you in the junk.

3. Well before 2011, it was simply UNSAT to make racially disparaging remarks when you are a coach/commentator in any context, at any time. I would humbly assert that is has ALWAYS been UNSAT but that may be another issue for another time.

4. I suspect that when the story first broke, Gruden had a narrow window of time to issue an apology that might save his job. I am supremely confident that stating " I do not have a racist bone in my body." was not in any proffered script.

5. I continue to be amazed by the inability of people in general and public figures in particular, to issue a heartfelt apology. It is not that hard,. There are even templates that outline step by step i.e.:

A. Expressing Regret
    “I am sorry for……” Say what you’re sorry for specifically. Saying the words describing the offense you are apologizing for shows the listener that you have heard and understood what you did that was hurtful to him or her.

B. Accepting Responsibility
    “I was wrong to ……..” Explain what offensive or hurtful action or speech you are accepting as your bad. This lets the listener know that you are not only asking for forgiveness with an apology, but you are naming what you did and that you admit it was offensive to her or him. This admission says that I am truly sorry for what I did or said not simply because I was called out on it.

C. Making Restitution
    “What can I do to help you start trusting me again?”This tells the listener that you are not only willing to admit that you committed an offense but that you want to try to right the situation in some way and prove to them that you want their trust back. This also allows the one offended to have a say in what would make your relationship right again.

D. Genuinely Promising Change
    “I am committed to doing everything I can to never do this again.” Tell the listener that you not only want to say you’re sorry for the offense, but you want to make sure that the offense never happens again. Tell them what you will do to stop yourself from committing the same offense.

E. Requesting Forgiveness
    “Will you please forgive me?”At this point asking for forgiveness from the one you offended or hurt marks the apology as genuine. Because you are sorry for what you did, admitted what you did, offered to make good on the hurt relationship and trust, and promised change in your behavior in the future, the listener is more likely to genuinely forgive you because of your genuine apology.

If Gruden had issued a statement tracking the above to include he has reached out to the specific folks referenced, he would likely have a job as his team is doing well in an exploding football market.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Well put! As little kids, whenever my sister and I fought, or had wronged one another, we were required to issue apologies to one another, always up to and including a request for forgiveness that had to be accepted before we were released from our punishment.

But I guess we can't expect the same things from public figures that we can from children.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

If Gruden had issued a statement tracking the above to include he has reached out to the specific folks referenced, he would likely have a job as his team is doing well in an exploding football market.
    Doubt he would have still had a job. That's not what cancel culture is about.

Also, if it's on MSM I automatically take the opposite view.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Important notes: the email hit Thursday or Friday, Gruden apologized and coached the Sunday's game. Then more emails came to light, several of which were extremely critical of Roger Goodell, the current NFL commissioner. Suddenly, there's external pressure on the Raiders to force Gruden to resign, lest they lose things like a scheduled SB bid for their home stadium, as an example.

Emperor Goodell does not allow dissent.
    I think "Gruden is a colossal dumbass and possibly a bad dude and maybe needs to lose his job" and "Goodell is narcissistic bag of vaguely human shaped excrement who reacts like a tyrant to criticism" are probably both true.

“ There’s this famous story from the 1987 players strike, in which then Cowboys president Tex Schramm encapsulated the situation facing NFLPA chief Gene Upshaw, who himself was once a Hall of Fame player during a dynastic Raiders era.

“Gene, here’s what you have to understand,” Schramm said offhandedly. “We’re the ranchers and you’re the cattle. And we can always get more cattle.”

That story is a good reference point for anyone who covers or follows the NFL, and we got a reminder again Monday night, as The New York Times published a dump of Jon Gruden’s emails.

Powerful as he might have seemed, Gruden is just another cow. And Washington owner Daniel Snyder is a rancher. And NFL owners, in private settings, aren’t shy about reminding people of these realities.

This, then, was a public show of them.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/12/jo...r-nfl-business

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Doubt he would have still had a job. That's not what cancel culture is about.
    This is absolutely correct. I’ve seen folks apologize in cases where they’ve done nothing wrong and the mob doesn’t care until they’re fired or lives are ruined. Though in this case it looks like Gruden did something he should have apologized for I’m certain he’s be gone regardless.

The fact that anyone still gives a shit about anything related to football continues to amaze me. It's a childs game that should stop mattering when you leave high school...sorry but not really.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    The fact that anyone still gives a shit about anything related to football continues to amaze me. It's a childs game that should stop mattering when you leave high school...sorry but not really.
    How do you really feel, R? LOL!

I needed that.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Football has been unwatchable for a while. Maybe I’m out of touch, but lady commentators, refs, coaches, etc are just not my thing in male sports (btw, I learned to think like that largely thanks to my mother). Not to mention all the anti-American racist garbage they fill the game with.

Then you add in the puss cakes like Drew Brees or any of these other sniveling craps that are too cowardly to stand up for what’s right, and I can almost puke.

Guess I’ll start watching the Mexican leagues via the net.

For clarity, everybody on the planet called Jon Gruden "Chucky", and many, no doubt said this to his face, a reference to a murdering, psychopathic doll from the movie "Child's Play" ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094862/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt ). Surely, Jon Gruden would find no offense in any of those comments and I'm sure everybody who called him "Chucky" has been asked to resign from their job.

There is no doubt Gruden had lost the locker room by now, and he was fighting an uphill battle, and resigning was probably his best option. He got paid, and probably doesn't need to work anymore, even if he'd like to, he will have a hard time finding a job. You just can't have locker room conversations on e-mail.

User Tag List