Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rental Range Observations

I’m glad I rented a Staccato before dropping $2K on one. It was underwhelming. And reading about mag issues here? Pass.

Sig 320 series guns shoot awesome. It’s all the other crap Sig isn’t so great with that puts me off.

Langdon Berettas still seem like the best value for a tricked out 9mm. As a total package though it’s still hard to argue with glock, even if it does feel like dating the fat chick sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I have no idea how the world is being duped by STI with the 2011 yet again.

The STI grip safety is a copy of an ED Brown with ‘knuckle relief’ cuts to get an even higher grip. Too high of a grip on a19/2011 grip safety pulls it up instead of down. That’s why most of them are fitted so they don’t actually work as grip safeties. They’re just floppy decorations.
    To the first question - they've hired some REALLY good marketing guys, and have some folks whose name means something to "the community" shilling for them.

To your second point, that is EXACTLY the problem I experienced, as did my buddy. We both grew up shooting 1911s, and I've never "missed" the grip safety before.

Like I said earlier, I walked into that range looking to confirm my decision to spend more money on a pistol than I've ever spent before. Now I have a lot of budgeted "gun money" looking for a home...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    To the first question - they've hired some REALLY good marketing guys, and have some folks whose name means something to "the community" shilling for them.

To your second point, that is EXACTLY the problem I experienced, as did my buddy. We both grew up shooting 1911s, and I've never "missed" the grip safety before.

Like I said earlier, I walked into that range looking to confirm my decision to spend more money on a pistol than I've ever spent before. Now I have a lot of budgeted "gun money" looking for a home...
    I have a home. Just sayin'.....

Ammo. Buy more.

Based on input from this forum and some other off-line comments, I just purchased two new P320's. I've carried an early X-Five as a duty gun and a butchered P320 full-size (cut to take compact mags) for off-duty carry. The X-Five was never sent in for the recall, the other gun was. With the release of LE friendly packages, I bought new guns that came with the tungsten module. I figure that a 2021 manufacture gun will address all of the possible concerns with the earlier, problematic designs.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Ammo. Buy more.
    This is the way. Everything I'm hearing from guys that would know and I trust is that currently ammo is the cheapest we are going to see for the foreseeable future right now. Current wholesale cost on a box of Federal (AE9AP) 124 gr 9mm from RSR to a dealer is a little under 17.00 a box currently and is expected to rise by 25 to 30 percent in the next six months, just as an example. If you have been holding out for a price drop, I wouldn't wait for much longer...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    This is the way. Everything I'm hearing from guys that would know and I trust is that currently ammo is the cheapest we are going to see for the foreseeable future right now. Current wholesale cost on a box of Federal (AE9AP) 124 gr 9mm from RSR to a dealer is a little under 17.00 a box currently and is expected to rise by 25 to 30 percent in the next six months, just as an example. If you have been holding out for a price drop, I wouldn't wait for much longer...
    Ugh. Guess I’ll be buying some painfully expensive 38 special then.

Just bought 2250 rounds of S&B 124gr FMJ - for about 1/3 of what I was going to spend on the Staccato. I'm sure it's a better investment in the long run, though it KILLS me to pay these prices for ammo when I have a RL-550C collecting dust in the basement. Of course, $120 for 1K primers, limit one brick PLUS shipping and HAZMAT makes $.35/round sound almost affordable...

Now I have a lot of budgeted "gun money" looking for a home...
    CZ Tac Sport Orange (with the refined grip shape from the original Tac Sport) I own one.
    CZ Tac Sport 2. I want to get one.
    CZ Shadow 2 Orange. I want to get one.

Great range toys. Flat shooting, very reliable magazines. In fact I’ve never had a stoppage I can attribute to a magazine. In any of my CZs.

I think the heart of a pistol is the magazine. The 2011 magazine was designed around a 1.25” length round, and adapted to 9mm and .40 length with some mixed success. The slide cycle was designed around a 1.25” length ball-round as well. I think the reason the 2011 suffers some challenges is due to these two innate limitations. IMO, When a pistol is designed from the ground up around a 9mm magazine and slide cycle, it just runs better.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

The X5 Legion is completely sick. Like a thread in Marksmanship, it IS buying performance, if your fundamentals don't completely suck.
    However, Legions (not the earlier X5s) are notorious for opening up and their accuracy going to poop. The slide tolerances are much wider and once the gun is broken in , tends to open up badly.

User Tag List