Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rental Range Observations

Rental Range Observations

So, today my buddy and I took advantage of a holiday and headed to the local-ish range (a little over an hour for me, 40 minutes for him) to shoot some stuff we might be interested in. In my mind, I was going to confirm my NEED for a Staccato P, but they also had a number of other pistols I'm mildly interested in, so I figured shooting them all would help me confirm my need for the P. We shot the P, a P320 X-Five Legion, a CZ SP01, and a Walther PDP Compact, which had a Holosun 507 mounted.

The P was an enormous disappointment. Something about the grip shape, the way I hold a pistol, and the grip safety led me to "miss" activating it about 50% of the time. I couldn't even get a feel for accuracy, because unless I was totally concentrating on getting the meat of my thumb to hit the "speed bump" on the grip safety, I would have a pistol that wouldn't shoot. Very frustrating. My friend had similar issues, and we both are very experienced 1911 shooters - I guess it's just a geometry thing. Add to that when I could get it to shoot accuracy was "meh" at best (no better than my Springfield Range Officer), and the fact that the slide failed to lock back on empty more than 50% of the time, and I managed to save myself the $2K+ I was desperate to drop on the pistol.

The SP01 was a pleasant surprise. Felt very heavy in the hand, but very soft shooting and accurate. The trigger is nothing to write home about, but completely usable for a DA/SA. The grip, as expected, felt GREAT in my hand, and it was completely problem free in function.

The PDP was fairly impressive as well. Despite being the smallest/lightest of the group, I felt like it shot the flattest of the four. The trigger was better than the G19 striker I'm used to, but not scary light. If I wasn't invested in Glock's so heavily, and didn't know the various growing pains this pistol has shown to shooters on here, I'd be very interested in picking one up. If Walther figures out the mysteriously increasing trigger weight issue, I'd consider it a very viable G19 alternative to the eternal "what polymer striker should I buy."

The shock of the day for me was the Legion. I will freely admit that I am a Cohen-run Sig HATER. I despise what he did to the company, I hate the idea of giving them my money, and I'm concerned that the P320's design and QC are not up to snuff. Having said all that, the X-Five Legion shot circles around everything else we tried today. Both of us got the best accuracy out of this pistol, recoil was non-existent, and the fit/finish and feel of the pistol were all top notch. If that pistol were made by literally ANY other major manufacturer (except maybe Taurus), I'd have already ordered one.

This was an all-too-brief test drive of multiple pistols, but very eye opening for me. With the exception of the problem-plagued Staccato, all the pistols were very easy to pick up and shoot well with a lot less effort than shooting a Glock.

At the end of the day, I'm back to thinking my "fun range gun" will likely be a 9mm 1911 (single stack), but that Legion was VERY tempting...

And we tell guys to take their wives to a rental range so they can make an informed decision.

That's a lot higher end selection than either of the rental ranges in my reach.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    And we tell guys to take their wives to a rental range so they can make an informed decision.

That's a lot higher end selection than either of the rental ranges in my reach.
    The indoor range I visited last week had a "P" for rental. I didn't shoot it but I did get to handle it...nice pistol but way beyond what I could pay.

Hammertime
    Grip safeties are why I don’t own any 1911 or 2011 style guns.

I have to admit that I shot the P320 pretty dang well out of the box. The same P320 that would fire if dropped. But still it was accurate, reliable and really easy to shoot well.

Your X5 Legion experience was similar to mine when I attended an event at the SIG Academy earlier this year. One followed me home.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The X5 Legion is completely sick. Like a thread in Marksmanship, it IS buying performance, if your fundamentals don't completely suck.

I just popped a Romeo1Pro on mine but haven’t had a chance to shoot since I mounted it. It’s a pure range toy for me, my first in years.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have no idea how the world is being duped by STI with the 2011 yet again.

The STI grip safety is a copy of an ED Brown with ‘knuckle relief’ cuts to get an even higher grip. Too high of a grip on a19/2011 grip safety pulls it up instead of down. That’s why most of them are fitted so they don’t actually work as grip safeties. They’re just floppy decorations.

I enjoy renting guns even if I have no intention of buying them, just so I can see what the experience is like.

Regards the grip safety, my only experience is with single stacks, and I have no issues. I do, however, think that the “Hardtail” modification that extends the frame into the “sweep” of the beavertail and leaves the lever only against the back of the gun, is an improvement with making.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I want to find a rental range that has a Px4 compact, but apparently that isn't a hot seller around here.

User Tag List