Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting negotiation at a Toyota dealership today

Interesting negotiation at a Toyota dealership today

I'll try to keep the politics out of this so here goes. This ties into to some discussions about shipping and low inventory everywhere threads...the changing economy.

I wanted a new pickup so in August I put a deposit down on a new Tundra that finally got to the dealer yesterday. Based on a conversation I had with a sales person I know I expected to pay 10% over MSRP with a KBB trade for a low mileage 4R I had. The price on the Tundra was 51K. KBB was 42-44K on my 4R. Sale person said KBB was something they could work with. This was in Aug. Today I think everything is a green light so I go in ready to trade for 7-9K difference. Sales person comes back with an offer of 37K for my 4R. Gasp. I was expecting at least 42K for my 4R. That was low KBB. I thought that was generous but evidently times are tough at the Toyota dealer if they have to make 5K on new vehicle and 5K on a trade. I heard all of the excuses from the sales manager why they couldn't do a KBB trade. Some of them were probably true but none of that concerns me. His main point was he was going to sell his new 4R's for about what I was asking for mine. What? Problem was there weren't any on the lot and nobody in the area has any for under 47K advertised. He suggested if I really wanted that Tundra I should sell my 4R myself. I could do that but I would pay the state 4K in tax on the 51K and deal with the unwashed masses for 2 weeks.

All I can come up with here is the car market is upside down just like the real estate market. Low inventory is going to put a lot of dealerships out of business if things don't change very soon. Yuge inflation is just around the corner so everyone buckle your seatbelts. It' going to be a wild ride.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Sounds like BS to me. Dealers here are selling any new inventory above MSRP whenever they get it in. I know people who have sold trucks and SUVs for more than they paid new.

The 4runner side of that equation sounds like BS to me. ETA: On the dealer's side, i mean, not you!

Do you have Carmax up there? Get an offer from them, Carvana, Vroom, the other online places. They seem to have really high trades right now and will buy outright. It'll either be leverage or a way to sell without jacking with the public.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    FWIW my local Toyota dealer has been mailing and e-mailing me asking me to trade my 2018 4Runner in. They even sent a postcard saying they would pay $2000 over KBB (maybe, perhaps, come on in and let's see what we can do...).

Of course, they don't say they will jack up the price on whatever I buy.

It probably isn't an easy time to price shop for anything, except hand sanitizer.

Looks like they have you over a barrel. If you buy the truck you do it on their terms. If you don’t you’ll have to fight to get your deposit back and they’ll find someone who can’t live another day without driving a new truck. No matter which direction you go, the dealer is going to sell that truck for a tidy profit.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

My Dad said a long time ago, the dealer expects you to give him your car and buy his.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I think it always comes down to the negotiation with the sales manager. Sales people will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get there. Then the BS starts.

I got a great deal on my 4R from this dealership 2 years ago, 7% below MSRP. I had a trade and they were right at KBB on the trade offer. I decided to sell my trade myself and I got what I wanted out of it.

Something changed in those 2 years. Might be the demographic area I'm in or maybe I'm in a worm hole.

Anyway, I'm not broken up over the rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Looks like they have you over a barrel. If you buy the truck you do it on their terms. If you don’t you’ll have to fight to get your deposit back and they’ll find someone who can’t live another day without driving a new truck. No matter which direction you go, the dealer is going to sell that truck for a tidy profit.
    My take on that. If they sell that truck to someone else, which they will, they have to refund me. I've dealt with that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My take on that. If they sell that truck to someone else, which they will, they have to refund me. I've dealt with that before.
    That’s a good point that I didn’t consider.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I always thought KBB was shit. Way overpriced or overated or whatever. In 2010 they said my friend's beat to hell 92 Camry with more miles than the space shuttle was worth $5k in trade! Ha!!! Half million miles on an almost 20 year old car with it's best selling feature is an automatic trans.... and the trade is $5k? Get the hell out of here!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List