Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An ill informed and perhaps wrong look at 3 dot sights

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Essentially I’m trying to break shots when the bright dot of my front sight is within the rear notch, and the rear notch is bisecting my target.
    Ok, so I would change up your focal process up then. Here’s what I would do.

1.) Draw and present to target. AS you’re presenting to the target “frame” the target area with your rear notch. The rest of the rear sight is largely inconsequential.

2.) Now that you’ve “framed” your target with the rear notch, and your index isn’t horribly off, your front sight should be naturally aligned to where you want your shots to go. Clean up the sight picture.

3.) Shift focus to target. Confirm sights are on target as desired. Correct as necessary. Shift focus back to front sight.

4.) IF you’re going for pure precision manage the sight picture as best as you can as you go through the natural “figure 8” of how your sights are moving. Fight for sight alignment more than where the sights precisely are as that is more important. Keep focus on the front sight.

5.). Press the trigger cleanly without disturbing the sights. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The rear sight is important, and using it FIRST as you’re getting on target will yield faster and more efficient results (or at least that’s been my observation). After that, it’s merely a window to the important stuff. Simply paying attention to that window and not having the clutter of dots or paint or other “stuff” allows you to narrow your focus on a smaller area as well as makes it easier to keep your focal point where it needs to be: on the front sight or the target as the shots are required.

You can absolutely shoot 25 yd shots target focused, but it’s not going to be as precise as being front sight focused. You can absolutely shoot 25 yd shots front sight focused, but it’s not going to be as fast or transitionally efficient as being target focused. It all depends on context and what you’re trying to do. Dancing between rear sight focus and front sight focus is definitely not where you should be at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Pay attention to the top corners of the front sight, and the inside top corners of the rear notch. Even if they are blurry, that will provide better alignment than dots.
    Took me a bit, but found the quote I was looking for.
    Taking a break from social media.

Sounds like this was something that was covered a bit in this thread by those guys:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cades-Gun-Guys

Red dot your looking at the target, the sight is on it. Irons, your looking through an apeture, at a point you want to put on the target and all movement is in degree's which will cause you to be quite off down range.

User Tag List