Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

On the flip side, if you do make upgrades, then you also take away any possible excuse you have, so that all you have left is to just get better.
    That is what I wanted to say yesterday when I saw this thread. I found that holding a gun that I knew was sweeping podiums at Nationals was very simplifying. The answer "it's me, not a gun" was going to be correct 100% of the time.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    One comment I’d like to make about 25 yard B8.

For most people, they’d be better off trying to stay within a 1” circle at 7 yards (approximately same scaled fundamentals).

@Yute
    Very cool! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That is what I wanted to say yesterday when I saw this thread. I found that holding a gun that I knew was sweeping podiums at Nationals was very simplifying. The answer "it's me, not a gun" was going to be correct 100% of the time.
    Although knowing now what I didn’t know then…

The stock Shadow 2 is about 95% of what my modified one is now.

So sometimes it is the gun / ammo.

Gamer ammo matters. And then weaker recoil spring to optimize the weaker ammo.
    And reach reduction kit to bring the DA closer.
    And lighter springs to reduce the trigger pull.
    And hogging out the internal magwell to speed reloads.
    And stickier grips to reduce recoil.

So the answer can still be the equipment even with the same gun. But absolutely it reduces the fudge factor in gaming. It’s just not zero.

So sometimes it is the gun / ammo.

Gamer ammo matters. And then weaker recoil spring to optimize the weaker ammo.
    And reach reduction kit to bring the DA closer.
    And lighter springs to reduce the trigger pull.
    And hogging out the internal magwell to speed reloads.
    That's for GMs. This A class shoots 140 pf factory ammo outta Shadow 2 that weighs 39 oz and has oem curved trigger and 14 lbs hammer spring

The point though is to be able to say "the gun doesn't matter" AND believe that it doesn't. For some it is a G26, for others it is a Limcat. While absolute performance will differ between the two, both are just fine to develop a shooter on as long as correct goals are set. So it really is about how one's brain work and what fits their mental makeup.
    Personally, having gone both ways, shooting harder to shoot guns and trying to make a next step up, and then changing to gamer guns and removing all potential misgivings about what I had in my hand, I progressed better with the second approach.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That's for GMs. This A class shoots 140 pf factory ammo outta Shadow 2 that weighs 39 oz and has oem curved trigger and 14 lbs hammer spring

The point though is to be able to say "the gun doesn't matter" AND believe that it doesn't. For some it is a G26, for others it is a Limcat. While absolute performance will differ between the two, both are just fine to develop a shooter on as long as correct goals are set. So it really is about how one's brain work and what fits their mental makeup.
    Personally, having gone both ways, shooting harder to shoot guns and trying to make a next step up, and then changing to gamer guns and removing all potential misgivings about what I had in my hand, I progressed better with the second approach.
    By your own admission, then the logical next step would be to upgrade the gun and make GM!

Anecdotally I kept the gun stock until I hit A class then upgraded stuff.

By your own admission, then the logical next step would be to upgrade the gun and make GM!
    That indeed would've been correct if I believed that my current gun and ammo were holding me back. I don't really think they do (14 lbs mainspring is gaming too and I do have a sweet trigger on my match gun).
    I am mildly curious what shooting a non-lightened Shadow would look like, although a recent experiment with 9 oz brass grips failed to demonstrate any benefit.

User Tag List