Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Able-bodied man.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    It used to have a definition. He could pick up and carry 100 pounds for a mile. Simple.
    Count me as one of those interested in knowing whose standard this is.

Also...are we talking a farmers carry? A yoke? A ruck?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sorry gentlemen, the source is my grandfather and he's not around to ask about it anymore.

As far as carry style, the man interviewing you (testing) would point at something he thought weighed the right amount (or close enough), showed you the landmark to walk back and forth from, you picked it up and away you went. Carry it as you will. Or so it was laid out for me. Simple, easy (!) test. Lots of items used to come in 100 pound sacks. "See that tallest white oak? Grab one of those sacks o' concrete."

For a big guy in shape to work in those days it was easy. Us little dudes it was more work.

This legitimately seems like a good physical pass/fail test. Load up a 100lb sandbag and carry it 1 mile in whatever way you can.

What's with the recent trend of random boomer threads about some vague, strangely worded topic out of left field lacking any context or purpose?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Well we are boomers . . .

Actually one of the posts in a Gallery thread said something about the 'old days' and it tickled this memory for me. Isn't that what boomers are good for? Memories?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What's with the recent trend of random boomer threads about some vague, strangely worded topic out of left field lacking any context or purpose?
    You'll understand if you survive long enough. Or not.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Sorry gentlemen, the source is my grandfather and he's not around to ask about it anymore.

As far as carry style, the man interviewing you (testing) would point at something he thought weighed the right amount (or close enough), showed you the landmark to walk back and forth from, you picked it up and away you went. Carry it as you will. Or so it was laid out for me. Simple, easy (!) test. Lots of items used to come in 100 pound sacks. "See that tallest white oak? Grab one of those sacks o' concrete."

For a big guy in shape to work in those days it was easy. Us little dudes it was more work.
    Just carrying weight? Meh. Do some reps and shoot. Or you could up the game for your gramps and use a 100# DB and shoot a B8 for score...with a stock mil 1911A1.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Right? "Back in my day a real man was someone who could fight a bull, fuck his wife, and beat his children all before 3pm while drunk on scotch"

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Right? "Back in my day a real man was someone who could fight a bull, fuck his wife, and beat his children all before 3pm while drunk on scotch"
    We really need a "Back in my day..." thread.

Well we are boomers . . .

Actually one of the posts in a Gallery thread said something about the 'old days' and it tickled this memory for me. Isn't that what boomers are good for? Memories?
    So then why not state the inspiration of the post, and the point of the post?

That's what gets me: these posts lacking any sort of context. They're just random statements, seemingly without any point or understanding of what's being "discussed" and why.

"Hey guys, I was thinking, back when I applied my first construction job in 1964 the foreman said he'd hire me if I could carry a 100lbs bag of concrete down the road and back. It was about a mile, I guess. I've always thought that was a good measure of physical fitness. Sort of like shooting LAV's 10x10x10 "Test", it's my go-to rule of thumb for making sure I'm still in shape. Anyone else have a comparably simple physical task they use to measure up against?"

I don't know if that's even your point, it's just something I made up for demonstrative purposes......but see how that paragraph makes a whole lot more sense than just, "An able bodied man can carry 100lbs for a mile" stated with zero context? It's not like we're in your head and have ANY clue what you're talking about or why you're talking about it.

Here's some other scintillating ideas for future topics without any additional context or purpose:

"Agway had a red roof at one time."

"In 1965, my friend George told me that Marissa couldn't work in the store."

"The chow hall at Ft McCoy had asbestos tiles."

"Marksmen shoulder a 7mm Remington with a low rise comb."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List