Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No Time To Die

Yep, @blues, I'd take Daniel Craig over Sean Connery. Connery's edges, in my mind, were over-polished. That was appropriate for the character as developed by Ian Fleming, but that was then and now is now. Craig, with his sharp corners and all, is more contemporary, thus my preference.

I thought Connery, as Jim Malone in The Untouchables, was superb.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 10-10-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Forgot the ampersand in @Blues

Doubled posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Yep, Blues, I'd take Daniel Craig over Sean Connery. Connery's edges, in my mind, were over-polished. That was appropriate for the character as developed by Ian Fleming, but that was then and now is now. Craig, with his sharp corners and all, is more contemporary, thus my preference.

I thought Connery, as Jim Malone in The Untouchables, was superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Yep, Blues, I'd take Daniel Craig over Sean Connery. Connery's edges, in my mind, were over-polished. That was appropriate for the character as developed by Ian Fleming, but that was then and now is now. Craig, with his sharp corners and all, is more contemporary, thus my preference.<br><br>I thought Connery, as Jim Malone in&nbsp;<em>The Untouchables,</em>&nbsp;was superb.

I heard you the first time.

(Personally, I prefer to keep close to the source material and let those who want to create a new character come up with their own material and story, distinct from the original. But, that's not the way...as we have seen with Shakespeare et al.)

That said, I lost interest in the Bond series decades ago, to be honest.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

As a character that was both human and larger than life, I feel that Craig’s portrayal run was the best.

Rough, craggy, and impeccably dressed and fed.

Daniel Craig Douglas.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    They should do one of two things- either end it now, or go period to the original novels (late 50's).
    Man, I can't agree more with this.

The character is a product of the cold war era. He seems aimless today when movies must have globally-agreed-upon villains so they don't ruin ticket sales in any one country.

I'm no movie critic but I suspect that's why the Craig-era Bonds started to get more introspective. That's why I think the plots are now one-man-against-the-machine like "Bourne Identity".

It would be highly entertaining if they went with a retro Bond. Something like they did with the movie "Atomic Blond". Re-read the novels and set them in the 50s - 60s.
    Last edited by Edster; 10-10-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post

It would be highly entertaining if they went with a retro Bond. Something like they did with the movie "Atomic Blond". Re-read the novels and set them in the 50s - 60s.
    You’re hired.

Seriously, a run of “period” movies would solve most all the problems, from the exit of Craig to the SJW stuff. Plus, they’d be visually spectacular.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Saw it yesterday. I saw none of the issues that have caused such teeth gnashing on the internet by fragile male egos.

Bond was not emasculated. He and the new 007 engage in a bit of banter, but both come to respect each other as equals. There's only one small nod to progressivism and if you aren't paying attention you'll miss it. You'll also think, "that figures" as it's in keeping with that character. One of the things I've appreciated about Craigs run as Bond is, they've allowed the character to age. Here, Bond is a bit weary and tired of it all. He's also portrayed as age appropriate. Craig isn't a man in his mid-fifties trying to act twenty something. They've allowed the character to age out, which I appreciate. The only big criticism I have is, both Rami Malek and Ana de Armas are underused. Well, and Felix Leiter doesn't get the send off he deserves. Other than those points I enjoyed it. I found it to be a good cap to the Craig era.

Honestly, I think the character as a whole has run his course. This won't be the final Bond movie because it's the only cash cow for the production company that makes them. However, if this were the final Bond movie I'd be good with that.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I could have sworn several years back they said Idris Elba was selected as the next Bond? That's why I was surprised that they made another Craig movie.

Site Supporter
    Saw the movie this weekend with my wife.

Overall pretty damn good. Surprising plot hole about EMP vs Nanobots though.

That said, I don't understand why every popular white-dude character in every popular story line that exists must be subjected to this needless re-cycle and re-imagining with different demographics. If that must happen, it'd be nice to see badguys get the same shake for equality. Where's the story with an evil mastermind that's a gay black guy? Nope, villains and bad guys must all be straight white dudes, it seems. Just how all commercials featuring any kind of idiot or person 'doing it wrong because they're not using product XYZ' has a straight white guy for that role, because allowing any other demographic to be portrayed as such in an advertisement would be all of the 'ists'

Plus, there's a shitload of good writing out there and new stories, why can't we just have a brand new story with all new characters and get our badass female secret agent movie series that way, and skip all the bellyaching altogether? Hollywood's done a lot of movies sort of like this anyway - Lucy, Peppermint, etc and they were all pretty good.
    I just don't see anything coming from a re-mixed James Bond except a lame movie and one more Pyrrhic victory in the SJW social war, which in turn only further divides otherwise reasonable people.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Saw it yesterday with my son. Had a feeling I knew where it was going with a line Bond says to Madelyn in the opening minutes of the film. Again, anyone who's seen all the films recognizes it, and it hits home. The ending credits song just further drives home the point.

I'm also in the club that Craig was the best Bond. I agree with @HCM about him as a person, but if I don't separate the actor from the character I'd never watch another movie. Sometimes, the actor just gets in the way and I just can't.

This one was a fitting close to the Craig era, and in my opinion a fitting close to the Bond era. I'd be fine with them ending it here.

User Tag List