Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: No Time To Die

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    There's only one small nod to progressivism and if you aren't paying attention you'll miss it. You'll also think, "that figures" as it's in keeping with that character.
    And totally appropriate for the actor.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Surprising plot hole about EMP vs Nanobots though.
    I was too hung up on the radios continuing to work that I missed that.

I found it very enjoyable, and am looking forward to doing a Craig Bond marathon after it is available for streaming. I feel Craig has been the best Bond to date, I grew up during the Connery to Moore transition. The move from over the top camp to mostly serious was needed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    It would be highly entertaining if they went with a retro Bond.
    While I'd love to see a well done retro Bond, the movie going demographic wouldn't. As I recall from the early novels. his gadgets were limted to a .25, a Colt revolver hidden in his car, his Rolex (used as brass knuckles), and some small OSS hidden knives. Not the sort of stuff that will get Gen Z out to the theater.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    While I'd love to see a well done retro Bond, the movie going demographic wouldn't. As I recall from the early novels. his gadgets were limted to a .25, a Colt revolver hidden in his car, his Rolex (used as brass knuckles), and some small OSS hidden knives. Not the sort of stuff that will get Gen Z out to the theater.
    Then again, what fancy gadgets do Jason Bourne or John Wick use?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Then again, what fancy gadgets do Jason Bourne or John Wick use?
    Jason Bourne killed that one guy with a book in the third movie.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Jason Bourne killed that one guy with a book in the third movie.
    Wasn't for a kill, but he used a rolled up magazine in the first one, but I can't remember what for except to slap the guy in the face with it.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I went out after about a 2+ year hiatus from all movie theaters and watched this.

Personally I thought it sucked.

I was a bit too young to get into Connery as Bond. Moore was well established as bond when I first started to see the movies. So, I grew up on Moore as Bond. 9 year old me still loves Moonraker, and 11 Year old me REALLY loves For Your eyes Only (ahhh Melina...). But as an adult, I realize Moore is a laughable Bond, and the movies are pretty weak on plot and acting.

Dalton neve did much for me, as I always saw him a the Prince from Flash Gordon. I thought Brosnan really looked the part, and was not as campy as Moore... but the films he was in were all just, meh. (with the exception of Golden Eye... ahhhh Famke...)

I think Craig has done a great job rebooting the character. Bond got a lot more physical, he gets hurt, his clothes get torn and dirty... we are far from the camp of the 70s. Quantum of Solace was the weak point in his output.

I personally don't want t see Bond changed. He is what he is. As mentioned, you can write a compelling female lead, with her own back story. Atomic Blond was an amazingly well done, female led, action flick. It set a high bar. It was not trying to just be "Jane Wick", as it had a good cold war vibe we don't see to much these days. SALT was not as good, but still decent as a female secret agent lead. Add in Laura Croft, Mr and Mrs smith, la Femme Nakita, and you can write a female spy/action hero that works on her own, without trying to ride to coat tails of Ian Fleming. Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley also show that if you have the right actress with the right script, you get box office gold and a lasting legacy.

I would pay to go see an Atomic Blond sequel.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

@Gadfly, concur, all of it.

PS.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I personally don't want t see Bond changed. He is what he is.
    Those people that get paid hundreds of millions of dollars apparently cannot come up with an original idea to save their lives.

They would rather hijack someone else's stuff rather than coming up with something original.

I definitely don't have anything against minority/female actors/leads/action heros. I just want the people in that industry to actually make something original that people will go see. Speaking for myself only if that were the case I would go to the movies 3 or 4 times more often than I do now.

Trying to say you can't like Picasso because you like Van Gogh, or you can't like classical music and rock n roll both is a completely stupid way of thinking.

^^^It’s true: tout le monde went out to see “Black Panther” in the theater, because it offered up something new and epic.

I’m pretty sure that re-envisioning, say, “Spider Man” as a differently-abled polysexual woman of color would not be as successful a franchise.

Although, I do like “Spyderxyr” as a moniker. Has a ring to it. And I’d probably see a movie with the above noted hero/heroine/herox/herowhatev, because it would be nice to see a new idea. Just so long as it wasn’t *supposed* to be spiderman.

Zen master: “How do you make another person’s string appear shorter?”

Students: “Cut it! Burn it! Take it! Fold it…”

Zen master, laying out another, longer piece of string: “Now how does the old string look?”

Those old Zen fuckers were no fools.

Give the world a better hero if you want to put the old one into perspective. Anyone can piss, moan, and destroy.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List