Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GP100 Shooters: how do you deal with this?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I would have no problem taking a Dremel to that corner.

Guns are tools and when being used for performance they’re just asking to be customized to YOU.

I knock off hard edges on my competition guns.

If you don’t want to do that, you can tape your thumb or wear gloves.
    That’s my attitude. I didn’t trade for this gun to sit in the safe but to be used, A LOT.

This is going to sound funny, but in the literal sense, I’m very thin-skinned and cut/bleed easily. At 62, my hands, arms & ankles are covered with scars from years of stomping through green briar & simple yard work. And I never even feel the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    That’s my attitude. I didn’t trade for this gun to sit in the safe but to be used, A LOT.

This is going to sound funny, but in the literal sense, I’m very thin-skinned and cut/bleed easily. At 62, my hands, arms & ankles are covered with scars from years of stomping through green briar & simple yard work. And I never even feel the cuts.
    Then maybe gloves +/- bandage tape are good solutions? Nothing wrong with that.

Is the edge actually carving into the skin? Or, is the skin splitting? There is a difference. If your skin is splitting, try some means of moisturizing your skin, well before the shooting starts. I am not recommending that one shoot with “greasy” hands, of course; let them dry, first.

A GP100 will split my skin, if my skin is try, if I shoot it much, with Magnums. Other Magnum revolvers have split my dry skin, even though I was touching no metal. OTOH, the “beaver” tail on S&W-era and later Walther PPK and PPK/s pistols actually carve into my skin, over the thumb knuckle, in addition to the added bonus of slide bite.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-10-2021 at 03:38 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I want to understand the problem accurately: the edge of the frame above the grip is coming back into your hand during recoil which is cutting/hurting you, correct?

That’s my right thumb a week after 16 rounds of 10mm. The skin doesn’t split. A patch about 3/16” in diameter peels back. That spot is normally wearing a callous, but I haven’t been shooting regularly the past few months.

My first thought was that damn corner needed to go, and I wish I’d listened.

20 minutes with the dremmel and, voila.

I think the radius gives a more appealing look.

Thanks to JCN for giving me the push I needed.

@jtcarm

That turned out nicely!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's worth it to go back over it and at least halfway-close match the brushed finish where you make your mods. It's reasonably doable and keeps the gun from looking overly Cleetusified.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's worth it to go back over it and at least halfway-close match the brushed finish where you make your mods. It's reasonably doable and keeps the gun from looking overly Cleetusified.
    What I've found that works really well for stainless...believe it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hey, Cleetus is my middle name[emoji35]

That’s my right thumb a week after 16 rounds of 10mm. The skin doesn’t split. A patch about 3/16” in diameter peels back. That spot is normally wearing a callous, but I haven’t been shooting regularly the past few months.

My first thought was that damn corner needed to go, and I wish I’d listened.

20 minutes with the dremmel and, voila.

Thanks to JCN for giving me the push I needed.
    It looks to me like the dang thing should have come that way in the first place. Nice work. Now put the Dremel down and step away from the work bench!😁

User Tag List