Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP100 Shooters: how do you deal with this?

GP100 Shooters: how do you deal with this?

I love the ergonomics of the rubber grips, except when actually shooting!

About 15 rounds of not even full-power 10mm loads, and this I’m losing skin to this nasty thing:

I’m seriously think about taking it to the grinder and knocking down the corner. Or is there some sort of neoprene tape that’ll cover it?

I posted this question over on the Ruger forums and got lots of replies saying to move my hand down, which left me wondering if any of them actually shoot their GPS.

What kind of grip is it?

OEM?

Hogue monogrip?

Something else?

I have a 5" GP-100 that never gives me a problem in that regard. It is fitted with the Hogue monogrip and is very comfortable under recoil.

Have you considered acquiring a different grip?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

You might look into this. Not only does it have more material up high, I think the more upright grip angle makes the trigger feel lighter.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger...ve-rubber-grip

Edit: Looks like the Schwartz and I posted the same thing at the same time.

It’s a match champion, so it came with the wood Hogues, which are way too big for my stubby digits and have hideous pointing qualities.

Ive tried both sizes of factory rubber. They’re fine for piss-ant .40 S&W loads but as I said, gouge my hand with 10mm.

Also this cheap set of oversized wood grips I bought off Amazon. They cover the spur but have already split because the wood is so thin. I rebuilt with epoxy and sanded them down to better fit my hand. IDK if they’ll hold up.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I can shoot full power .357 mags out of my GP's all day long and not have any discomfort from the upper portion of the frame. I am a Lefty though if that matters. I use a high grip similar to yours. All of my GP's have the Ruger factory grip with the wood inserts. Please keep us updated, I am interested to see what solves this problem.

You may try the rubber Hogues that have no finger grooves. I have had very good luck with those.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You can carve a decent amount off the Hoge NFGs. I don't have stubby fingers, but I shaved a bunch of the hump out of the backstrap and skinnied up the width at the very top, removing material from both sides. You could do more if you wanted.

Name:  GP100 top.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  19.3 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You can carve a decent amount off the Hoge NFGs. I don't have stubby fingers, but I shaved a bunch of the hump out of the backstrap and skinnied up the width at the very top, removing material from both sides. You could do more if you wanted.
    This... if you don't mind the way it looks (varies with individual skills), and you can live with the end results (the Hogues are always going to be excessively long for me, but YMMV). I find the compact factory grips to be the best all-around grip for me so far, but admit that they are not perfect.

I can't understand why more GP100 - and SP101 - grips don't extend a bit higher than they do. A high grip is not exactly breaking news or a revelation from the blue.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I love the ergonomics of the rubber grips, except when actually shooting!

About 15 rounds of not even full-power 10mm loads, and this I’m losing skin to this nasty thing:

I’m seriously think about taking it to the grinder and knocking down the corner. Or is there some sort of neoprene tape that’ll cover it?

I posted this question over on the Ruger forums and got lots of replies saying to move my hand down, which left me wondering if any of them actually shoot their GPS.
    I would have no problem taking a Dremel to that corner.

Guns are tools and when being used for performance they’re just asking to be customized to YOU.

I knock off hard edges on my competition guns.

If you don’t want to do that, you can tape your thumb or wear gloves.

I find the compact OEM GP-100 grips to be way too small for my paws and went to the nylon Hogue grip for my 3” 10mm. My experience, supported by guys on a couple of shooting forums, is that the wooden Hogue grips for single action revolvers are basically a kit just waiting on the application of file, sanding drum and sandpaper. Hogue must agree because they’ll sell you a finishing kit with polish and carnuba wax. The wooden GP-100 Hogues would be a lot easier to modify since there’s no pocket hiding the front edge of the frame.

User Tag List