Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early XIVth Century War Sword.

Early XIVth Century War Sword.

An early XIVth Century War Sword, of Oakeshotts Type XIIa, by Eric McHugh of Crown Forge.

Eric did a beautiful job on this one, a classic design of the high middle ages. By the time of this designs full maturation, full all encompassing suits of mail were the state of the art in armor. Larger swords, capable of powerful shearing blows were developed as a counter measure.

The swords handling is, in a word, sublime. It's a substantial piece with good presence and a lot of mass, but moves beautifully. It effortlessly transitions between guards, pivots on a dime and the blade follows the point quite well. The blade is well honed and extremely sharp. I prefer large swords with presence and mass. Eric told me, "This one's right up your alley." As expected, he's absolutely right. In short, it's the finest modern example of this type I've ever handled.

Fit and finish is excellent. Not perfect, but nearly so, which is how Eric and I both prefer it. There are a few small imperfections left to denote its handmade nature. The blade is forged from 80cRV2, a German steel known for it toughness and durability that has become quite popular in sword making circles in the last few years. The guard and pommel are forged from mild steel.

Bringing this one to fruition was a long and tortuous path, but it's finally here and beautiful it is.

Eric and I have been friends for twenty years and I've enjoyed watching his development as a craftsman. At this point, I'd put his work up against that of any other smith with full confidence.

Well done my friend.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Ever heard of Tom Maringer?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ever heard of Tom Maringer?
    Yes, I have. One of the earlier American sword smiths who specialized in stainless steels, not an easy thing in sword length blades, although most of his swords were never overly long. His work wasn't historic in nature, but very unique and well done. Very 80's too.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-08-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yes, I have. One of the earlier American sword smiths who specialized in stainless steels, not an easy thing in sword length blades, although most of his swords were never overly long. His work wasn't historic in nature, but very unique and well done. Very 80's too.
    I know him (mainly through his daughter). Good guy.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I know him (mainly through his daughter). Good guy.
    Back in the 80's, when I was a kid who could only dream of owning such things, Toms work was some of the stuff I used to drool over at Knife Shows and in magazines. Back then hands-on research of antiques wasn't really a thing and most sword makers were knife makers who decided to give swords a try. Most of them wound up with big, ten pound knives. Toms work set itself apart because it actually had some nice handling qualities.

Beautiful.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

That's incredible!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Very nice! A work of art, and I can’t help but admire the added utility of the pommel!

Site Supporter
    Would that style sword be a hand a half sword, or is it a true two handed blade?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Would that style sword be a hand a half sword, or is it a true two handed blade?
    Hand and a half is a modern descriptor but yes, that term could apply. These would have been referred to as "Grete Swerdes", "espees de Guerre", "Swords of War" to distinguish them from their single-handed brethren and still larger two-handed swords.

Single-hander:

War Sword:

Two-hander:

User Tag List