Thread: Extebded vented barrel vs comp

Extebded vented barrel vs comp

Has anyone done or found any comparison data between a vented extended barrel and a comp or carry comp? Do all or most vented barrels have rifling the full length or are they rifled just up to the vents?

I'm curious about these types of barrels and their effect after seeing the Beretta 92R and Glock 18 versions and looking at them compared to a carry comp. Obviously the comp is what is more often used and has some added weight to the muzzle end. They can also be changed unlike the vented barrel.

Pics for clarity.Name:  glock 18 ext barrel.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  Ext barrel vented.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  32.0 KB

I would still avoid that vs a Comp if only for retention shooting. Those ports are still a risk for launching spall into your eyes.

I don't have hard performance data, but no one in the competitive shooter world has used those for a very long time.

A good compensator should have expansion chamber(s) for the gas to fill and baffle(s) for the gas to press against, e.g. this: https://www.binaryeng.com/products/c...m-compsensator

Carry comps work the same way, but are smaller.

The expansion-chamber kind of compensator has been around since the mid 80s or so. An extended barrel with ports in it is going to be less effective than a modern, efficient compensator, and not that much better than porting a standard barrel. It does have the minor advantage of not requiring slide milling on most pistols and a longer lever arm for the down force provided, but will require a new holster.

Glock has gone to porting the standard barrel and a slide window on more recent G18Cs (since Gen3 I think). There's probably a clue there that the design is not worth the bother.
    Last edited by jbrimlow; 10-12-2021 at 09:38 AM.

I appreciate the info. My interest is not competitive. Since comps are used in competitive over extended vented barrels (EVB)it is fair to assume the benefits of a comp outweigh an EVB. But by how much? A competitor will want any advantage they can get especially fitting within a rule set. However an EVB is smaller and lighter while not having extra parts or need to be secured to the barrel itself. It can be field stripped the same as a normal barrel while a compensated gun cannot. It is also much more likely that a EVB would have less functioning issues compared to a comped gun. As you said the vents farther out toward the muzzle offer more leverage they also don't impact velocity or require cut slides like standard length vented barrels like in Glock C models and the like. True closed end holsters would require a holster change but many open or semi closed holster could work with an EVB where they wouldn't with a regular comp or street comp.

In general my interest is preliminary and without data or more objective comparison theoretical before spending time and money doing a real comparison myself. I had hoped someone in the PF realm may have done or seen some comparison in the past, especially the competition types.

I have a street comp and just want to see if there is more info to consider an EVB.

User Tag List