Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What else do you like to do?

Name:  PXL_20201105_194618108.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  102.0 KB
    Riding this thing, mostly.
    I'm interested in getting into BJJ but I feel like between work and kids I'm spread pretty thin

For anyone trying to learn a string instrument: It’s worth it to have the setup checked. A lot of instruments — especially entry-level ones — are sold with the action set much higher than it needs to be. That makes fretting cleanly much harder than it has to be. If the nut slots are not deep enough the action will be very stiff in the first few frets where beginners spend a lot of time.

The home we purchased earlier in the year is a combination of over grown jungle and damaged oak trees from Michael. Taking back the yard JD1025r, using the pallet forks to pull down vines from higher up, easily allows for the brush cutter to backup over and chop/chop. Progress is slow but doing it ourselves is somewhat rewarding. Money spent on firearms is being funneled into tractor attachments. Last month went shopping for a AR, with cash in my pocket before pulling into LGS, is the JD dealer that was taking delivery of the brush-cutters. And so it goes.

Attachment 78465
    Last edited by SD; 10-13-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Read, hike a few times a week, do some word puzzles, mess around with foreign languages (Duolingo).

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    For anyone trying to learn a string instrument: It’s worth it to have the setup checked. A lot of instruments — especially entry-level ones — are sold with the action set much higher than it needs to be. That makes fretting cleanly much harder than it has to be. If the nut slots are not deep enough the action will be very stiff in the first few frets where beginners spend a lot of time.
    (Nods in experienced Luthier.)

The man speaks truth. High action will also stretch the strings out of pitch when being played.

I've done more than 1500 setups at this point in my career. Who ever does it for you, make sure they use the tried and true sequence: neck relief (if applicable), then nut slot height, check frets for high or low spots, then adjust action height for playing style and string tension preferences. Costs vary, but tend to be $60-90.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    (Nods in experienced Luthier.)

The man speaks truth. High action will also stretch the strings out of pitch when being played.

I've done more than 1500 setups at this point in my career. Who ever does it for you, make sure they use the tried and true sequence: neck relief (if applicable), then nut slot height, check frets for high or low spots, then adjust action height for playing style and string tension preferences. Costs vary, but tend to be $60-90.
    You can also make your own gauges. I use an cut off bass E string (0.105") and a loop of .015" wire (typical guitar B string) to check my bass guitar relief & action.

I also really, really like zero frets, and will put them on pretty much any instrument I make.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List