Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What else do you like to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Yes, ASL at ASL Oktoberfest in Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    People still do it but it's a very small part of the worldwide archery market. Most of the money and research goes into modern gear, and most of that into hunting with compounds in the USA. Olympic target follows that.

Most traditional gear is the modern American flatbow of 1930s Howard Hill, or the modern recurve of 1950s Fred Bear. The historical longbows and recurves are kind sorta like 1911s. You can find hand made copies from natural materials and modern material versions based on them. Production to custom from $100 to thousands of dollars for work by a master that you will wait years for. Just the deerskin shooting glove for a Japanese Yumi can cost thousands of dollars... read War Bows by Mike Loades for a comprehensive look at the traditional, historic longbow, recurve, crossbow, and Yumi (the Japanese really are in their own world).

The craziest are the horseback archers. This is Serena Lynn from the great state of Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwb2GZ6EOo
    This is making me want to break out my Bear Tigercat from my youth (circa mid/late '60's). I recently got it re-strung but with no explosion involved it hasn't hooked me. But I dunno. Wish I knew what became of my Bear Grizzly from those days. I couldn't handle my dad's Kodiak.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    We've got critters. Milk goats, guardian donkey, laying hens, feeder pigs (about 6 months per year--usually 3 at a time), meat birds (for about 7 weeks each spring). Usually a large garden.

I hunt deer.

I don't consider any of that a hobby. It just how we live.

Very poor guitar and marginally OK harmonica count, I guess, as my hobbies.
    I had to Google guard donkey.
    Impressive.
    We raise chickens as well, and a good clientele of egg purchasers.

I've always, always wanted to play the guitar.
    Being lefty and too obtuse to read music, doomed from the get go.

Forgot to mention that I ride a motorcycle.
    She's an old 2006, with low mileage and too loud exhaust. Hours of fun, with a seat as wide as a recliner and leather saddle bags.
    Last edited by CSW; 10-08-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Pictures are worth thousands....of dollars.

Name:  FF73B366-11F3-4E79-9C64-95A085DADA7B.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6797.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  B9191D18-E0C0-44A2-AA71-CAB779EF3642.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  43451A46-9643-4B81-A0BC-33C2508CA705.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  051E5FA6-E052-4C07-B451-704EF7A64D40.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  26.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This is making me want to break out my Bear Tigercat from my youth (circa mid/late '60's). I recently got it re-strung but with no explosion involved it hasn't hooked me. But I dunno. Wish I knew what became of my Bear Grizzly from those days. I couldn't handle my dad's Kodiak.
    We have a pair of 1967 Bear Tigercats. One for me, one for my sister; we still shoot together. They are on a Bear rack from the 80s, and filled with Bear arrows from the 70s.

Above them are some modern hybrids. Traditional handles with modern limb design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I've always, always wanted to play the guitar.
    Being lefty and too obtuse to read music, doomed from the get go.
    I can read music due to my youthful adventures with the trumpet, but I don't think I've really drawn on it in my guitar or harmonica playing. Chords are typically laid out visually. Learn 3 of them, and you're on your way...Bad Moon Rising is I think D A G. (G's a semi-hard chord to learn at first, but the other two are pretty easy.) Guitar's a lot of fun.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I love to ski, but haven't been in a few years since we moved away from the mountains.

I also used to do Jiu Jitsu, but the time commitment is too much having young kids. I'm trying to get th kids interested, both for their benefit and mine.

Now, other than shooting, my hobbies are fitness, and reading (mostly non-fiction).

Let's see... I play bass guitar, and build bass guitars. And build effects pedals. And tube amps & speaker cabs. And am even dabbling in cajons.

I read a lot- usually while watching MST3k.

When in the USA, I like to ride my motorcycle to scenic lunch destinations in Central Florida.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I can read music due to my youthful adventures with the trumpet, but I don't think I've really drawn on it in my guitar or harmonica playing. Chords are typically laid out visually. Learn 3 of them, and you're on your way...Bad Moon Rising is I think D A G. (G's a semi-hard chord to learn at first, but the other two are pretty easy.) Guitar's a lot of fun.
    Huh. G is usually one of the first two chords I teach kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Let's see... I play bass guitar, and build bass guitars. And build effects pedals. And tube amps & speaker cabs. And am even dabbling in cajons.

I read a lot- usually while watching MST3k.

When in the USA, I like to ride my motorcycle to scenic lunch destinations in Central Florida.
    What kind of pedals?

Ever sell your pedals?

To keep it on topic, I play bass, record a little, trying to get back to mountain biking but have a three year old who keeps me pretty busy when not working

User Tag List