Thread: Gun Safe Interior Rifle Organizer Options?

Gun Safe Interior Rifle Organizer Options?

The RSC “gun safe” I have is meant to fit about 12 to 14 long guns in theory. It has ability to put shelves in that stay in play resting in adjustable ledge hardware.

What options exist to buy or build my own custom rifle organizer? Of course I could take a piece of plywood and use a router to cut out holes but I’m wondering if there’s any aftermarket option I can tell them the size of my safe and they cut the shelf piece. Or if I’m doing it myself, maybe there’s a design that’s more efficient or easier to use that I should cut.

Also wondering about maybe no shelf with holes for the barrels to go through, and just have an open floor space and use the plastic rods with Velcro on top to put in each muzzle and keep it in place.

And finally maybe not a shelf but maybe the rifles get secured along the perimeter only, like two on left interior, two on right interior and 6 to 8 along the back interior and secure the barrels/hand guards to some QD thing that keeps them secured to the wall of the safe aligned in a U-shape and the middle is open that could normally fit like 4 to 6 rifles and instead of overcrowding I keep that empty since I have a couple less guns currently than my RSC can fit. And maybe rest one or two common primary use long guns in that middle spot for quick access and if I do need to access the guns along the walls I only need to move these one or two center guns out of the way.

As opposed to the standard 2x6 or 2x7 or 2x8 layout (I forget how many mine is meant to hold) where if I want to get a gun in the back row I have to move 3 guns in front of it.

Most people run out of room and cram as many long guns in as possible, muzzle up and down, which keeps them from moving around much.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most people run out of room and cram as many long guns in as possible, muzzle up and down, which keeps them from moving around much.
    Geez, I thought it was just me... Apparently safes are like sheds in that they shrink in size as soon as you start putting stuff in them.

While we are in the neighborhood, two more random, unsolicited comments/observations. First, once I got my safe and got all the guns in it, my wife realized how many guns I had - so that was a strategic error. (I really don’t have that many.). Second, for various reasons, I no longer have immediate access to a safe - and it sucks.

12-14 gun translates to something like 8 gun in reality.

A safe salesman told me some years ago that the industry uses .22LR rifles with no sling or optic to get the capacity numbers. I'm not sure he was joking.

Some people use rifle rods to get more guns crammed in. I've never tried them.

https://www.storemoreguns.com/rifle-...n-rack-system/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A safe salesman told me some years ago that the industry uses .22LR rifles with no sling or optic to get the capacity numbers. I'm not sure he was joking.
    I think they use pump shotguns with nothing sticking out either side. Consequently the spacing is not optimal for anything else.

There are many magnetic options now. I have a couple of them that were intended for trap & skeet shooters to stick on the side of your vehicle while you are getting the rest of your kit out of the car. I kept driving home with them on the side of the truck so I quit using them before I lost them. Now they are in the workshop on a toolbox and workbench next to the safe, still handy.

If you want to make something maybe try expanded foam PVC board (common referred to as the brand Sintra). It can be had in 10-12mm and it cuts nice and woukd be non-mar without any padding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I like the magnets idea. Anyone doing that inside their gun safe? Remove any kind of shelf divider thing and have an open middle area where you stick guns to the wall? If you’re talking modern guns like ARs then instead Of orienting them so that the mag well is facing you, you could maybe orient so mag wells are facing the middle, so the back row would be the same, but the left and right sides would rotate 90 degrees. Like making a semi circle of long guns. And the middle guns, unsure. Maybe just rested by “friction” and stuffed in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Some people use rifle rods to get more guns crammed in. I've never tried them.
    https://www.storemoreguns.com/rifle-...n-rack-system/
    I converted my safe to use rifle rods about a year ago and it let me fit another 4 or 5 rifles in my safe. I highly recommend them.

I looked into the magnetic options and was really excited for them until I realized I don’t think they will work because most of my guns have red dots. So I can’t really store the guns efficiently in a way that puts the barrel Or receiver against the wall of the gun safe to touch the magnet.

Maybe the red dot itself could be stored against the magnet but magnets and electronics are usually not good together. Short periods of time is probably fine but to keep a magnet on there for years and years, I don’t know.

User Tag List