Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Pistol

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country

Training Pistol

So I have finally come to a place that I am actually committed and comfortable with an entire carry system. By system I mean the complete pistol accessory’s included, belt and holster/mag carrier. For years I have chased the elusive “ perfection” from the company that claims it and several others. Ive had several points that I thought “ this is close, if only…” and the hunt continued. It always seemed that if the pistol was right the sights weren’t. If the sights were great the damn gun didn't have a rail…if it had a rail then the light I wanted didn't work for me…..
    I know you have all been through this.
    Anyway I have actually dialed it in and I have put together a system that is exactly what I want and feel I need in a gun to help protect me and mine. Like so many of these types of things they seem to come full circle if you stand still long enough.
    The point of this is that after all these years I am now going to put together a dedicated training pistol in the exact configuration of my primary carry. No longer will I need to safe and clear my sidearm for dry fire practice ( I still will of course). No longer will I have to put a dirty and HOT gun back down my pants when leaving the range. This means I have also dropped out of my last class because the gun ( broke an extractor on a gen 4 19 at a class a few years ago)I was using went down as I will have an exact spare.

This pistol will live all its indoor not at the range life with a dry fire mag and barrel block installed. It will live in a dedicated orange wing claw 2.5 and I am even going to weight down a couple of oem mags with orange plates and make dummy mags. This will allow me to practice much more and do it without any more administrative handing of live weapons in the house with my family then necessary for cleaning and maintenance.
    I have always wanted to do this but just wasn't in a place where both the carry and training gun weren’t going to change or be different. And honestly the expense was a factor as well. I know that I could have done this with a SIRT pistol or other types of training aids but I want this to also serve as a backup to my carry pistol.
    So I have assembled- or at least ordered all the parts needed ( other then an SCD) to put together a new carry gun and make the one I am carrying now my training gun and I am as excited as a kid at Xmas!

Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS
    Heinie MOS ledge sights
    FCD plate
    RMR 06 type2
    Streamlight TLR-7A
    Barrel Blok
    Orange WingClaw 2.5 with DCC mono block-ordered
    Orange AIWM mag carrier-ordered
    Glock OEM Orange floor plates x3 - ordered
    Glock OEM mags x 2 to replace the used ones I am going to dummy
    DriFire Mag-ordered
    SCD-the only part I just can’t get my hands on( hell I wouldn’t even mind getting gouged on a couple!)

Anyway That’s my plan. Anyone else go about it this way? How do you like it? What did I miss?

Name:  BEB0DA74-1D48-4920-8099-2200506B1A91.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  52.4 KB
    Last edited by CHNEAL; 10-03-2021 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Spelling is not my superpower

I do the same thing. I’d say you’re pretty much good to go, and I did it also to reduce the need to admin handle pistols plus swapping out SD ammo after I chamber it x times. It might be worth vetting your new pistol and use that for carry instead given your other pistol may have a lot more rounds through it.

My only problem was getting a proper holster and belt. And that was my fault and not something I was chasing but couldn't get just right. At one point I refused to buy anything specific. Walmart belt and whatever cheap holster was good enough. Once I actually bought a correct belt and proper holster and found how much more comfortable it was to carry and to carry more than just some small single stack ....that was the "perfection" for me. I don't chase anything else.

I don't bother with lights although I have a few. I don't carry them. And all sights I've had seem to work the same way.

Dry fire I do with the same gun. All the money spent on special additional guns and parts can go towards ammo. It's cheaper to just unload the gun.

My carry gun doubles as my training gun and triples as my night stand gun.

The only thing I really find to be a pain in the ass is dry firing striker guns. The constant racking of the slide. Hammer gun are so much easier in that area
    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4RNR; 10-03-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Just a couple thoughts, having trod on this path a while.

Have you thought about purchasing a blue gun? It might inexpensively address some aspects of administrative handling. Especially a weighted one. The one's I've had from Rings are astonishingly life-like, albeit from a block of blue inert plastic.

What about Dry Practicing using the simple Zip-Tie hack (assuming a Glock)? (insert zip-tie, tail first, in through an open slide down the barrel. Carefully ease the slide home, at rest, such that the top of the slide sits against the now-upright and bent-at-90 head of the zip tie.) The trigger (because the zip-tie prevents the connector from clicking back down to reset against the trigger bar as normal) can then be manipulated through part of it's travel. Yes, it's mushy, but works pretty well if you want to simulate trigger presses.

However, I totally get the "2 is 1" philosophy, and applaud you for setting up a dedicated, backup / spare pistol for practice. I am somewhat in the same territory, carrying a G19 Gen 5 MOS and competing/Dry Practicing with a G34 Gen 5 MOS. Both have the same optic. The majority of my dry work is with the G34 for USPSA; generally the G19 is chambered and setup in it's rig.

Good luck!
    Last edited by RJ; 10-03-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I do the same thing. I’d say you’re pretty much good to go, and I did it also to reduce the need to admin handle pistols plus swapping out SD ammo after I chamber it x times. It might be worth vetting your new pistol and use that for carry instead given your other pistol may have a lot more rounds through it.
    Yes I worded the post wrong and you are absolutely correct. I have 200 rounds of 147 gr HST set aside to vet the new pistol and it will replace the the one I carry now that has about 6k rounds thru it and will become the training gun.

I've done this for years after reading IIRC Mas Ayoob's thoughts on it. It works for dry fire, it works if you are involved in a Defensive Gun Use, it works for training classes and it works if you need to send your gun in for repair. I have 2 of each of most of my guns for just these reasons. It can get expensive while trying to narrow down your final true choice or if you switch out carry guns often but the benefits are worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I've done this for years after reading IIRC Mas Ayoob's thoughts on it. It works for dry fire, it works if you are involved in a Defensive Gun Use, it works for training classes and it works if you need to send your gun in for repair. I have 2 of each of most of my guns for just these reasons. It can get expensive while trying to narrow down your final true choice or if you switch out carry guns often but the benefits are worth it to me.
    I have done the same, I have three of the same gun right now. 1 carry, 1 training, 1 back up if I ever need to send one in. This is the only time I have ever done this, and that is how much I believe in the platform I have. Feels nice to find "the one"

Agree

Agree with all.

I have dry copies of my primary competition and carry guns for the exact reasons stated above.

The next step is 3 identical copies.

One to beat on at the range and never clean unless malfunctions, one dry one, one low round count carry one.

For a dedicated practice Glock I really like the Glock Store reset trigger better than the Dry Fire mag because then I could still do magazine changes and other drills like that.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have done the same, I have three of the same gun right now. 1 carry, 1 training, 1 back up if I ever need to send one in. This is the only time I have ever done this, and that is how much I believe in the platform I have. Feels nice to find "the one"
    YES IT DOES! I was just thinking that if 2 is good 3 is better…

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Agree with all.

I have dry copies of my primary competition and carry guns for the exact reasons stated above.

The next step is 3 identical copies.

One to beat on at the range and never clean unless malfunctions, one dry one, one low round count carry one.

For a dedicated practice Glock I really like the Glock Store reset trigger better than the Dry Fire mag because then I could still do magazine changes and other drills like that.
    I am not familiar with the reset trigger, off to the Glock store I go. Thanks.

User Tag List