Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training revolver

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wound up picking up a 4" m10-10 off GunBroker for $300. It's one of the DC guns with a round butt frame. I've got some ahrends retro target grips and after I paint the front sight it'll be my training gun.

I think my 66 has proven itself and POA/poi is so reliable I think it can strictly be my carry gun/back up competition gun.

For dryfire, training, and competitions I think the m10 with 158s @ 1000fps will do it all for a while.
    ...the photos of your new Model 10 didn't load.

I was very seriously considering bidding - looks to be a nice one.
    Last edited by tango-papa; 10-16-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    ...the photos of your new Model 10 didn't load.

I was very seriously considering bidding - looks to be a nice one.
    I haven't gotten it yet lol. I will post some up.

Site Supporter
    I haven't gotten it yet lol. I will post some up.
    A likely story...

IMO, you need twin carry guns in case one goes down,

Site Supporter
    Thats my current load(5.7 of be-86). I get 1k fps from a 4" barrel.

I'm willing to see how long the 10 lasts before it needs maintenance.

I've read over on the s-w forum that modern .38 k frames are made identical to .357s but with .38 chambers.
    K frame revolvers have had the same metallurgy at least since 1970 which is the date that I started talking with the then product service manager, Mr. Longtin. One difference between those chambered for .38 and those for magnums is that the magnums have a supported forcing cone located within the frame. The .38's have more of the cone protruding from the frame. Theoretically, it is more fragile. These comments refer to the older revolvers. I have not compared recently made ones.

1000 fps with a 158 grain bullet is a fine load but would wear most of us out when used as a practice load--or at least it would have me. I urge younger guys to practice with shooting gloves because it's a matter of time before nerve damage occurs in the palm. After I became arthritic, I wore a 1lb weight on my wrist to soften recoil forces affecting elbow and shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    IMO, you need twin carry guns in case one goes down,
    That's what my Sokol gun is for

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    K frame revolvers have had the same metallurgy at least since 1970 which is the date that I started talking with the then product service manager, Mr. Longtin. One difference between those chambered for .38 and those for magnums is that the magnums have a supported forcing cone located within the frame. The .38's have more of the cone protruding from the frame. Theoretically, it is more fragile. These comments refer to the older revolvers. I have not compared recently made ones.

1000 fps with a 158 grain bullet is a fine load but would wear most of us out when used as a practice load--or at least it would have me. I urge younger guys to practice with shooting gloves because it's a matter of time before nerve damage occurs in the palm. After I became arthritic, I wore a 1lb weight on my wrist to soften recoil forces affecting elbow and shoulder.
    Noted.

At least the warm .38 is a step down from magnums for practice.

I really don't think the 158@ 1k fps is that bad but my wife thinks its a bit much. She does like a 125gr fmj @ 1k fps (although it's probably 850 from her 2" M15). Which works out since it has the same poi as the Winchester bonded ranger ammo

So I figure this will be my new training gun as long as it shoots ok. The trigger is a thing of beauty. The cylinder gap looks good, when the hammer is cocked the cylinder is very tight. Otherwise it's pretty lose. Hopefully it shoots ok.
    The finish is pretty bad. It's a round butt m10-10 and came with standard square butt panels which is why I think I got it so cheap but is exactly what I wanted since I had a set of ahrends conversion grips for it.
    Name:  IMG_20211023_153526.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20211023_153546.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  32.8 KB

@03RN
    The Model 64 I bought a few weeks had a wobbly cylinder, so I but a new one. That tightened it up considerably, but when the new cylinder bushing arrived the following day, it was like a brand new revolver. The cylinder was $100, and the bushing a mere $5.

So I figure this will be my new training gun as long as it shoots ok. The trigger is a thing of beauty. The cylinder gap looks good, when the hammer is cocked the cylinder is very tight. Otherwise it's pretty lose. Hopefully it shoots ok.
    The finish is pretty bad. It's a round butt m10-10 and came with standard square butt panels which is why I think I got it so cheap but is exactly what I wanted since I had a set of ahrends conversion grips for it.
    Name:  IMG_20211023_153526.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20211023_153546.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  32.8 KB
    Very nice.

Sending that one to KS to make a twin 3 incher would be pretty darn neat.
    Just sayin...

User Tag List