Thread: Pandora Papers released by ICIJ, bigger than Panama papers?

Pandora Papers released by ICIJ, bigger than Panama papers?

I saw something about how tons of people were freaking out in Hong Kong and other places with this new leak released earlier today. I googled it and saw that so far over twice as many politicians and public officials are connected to this one as compared to the Panama papers. Will be interesting to see what else comes of it. A summary based on an article that showed up on Google:

Quote Originally Posted by ICIJ
    A2.94 terabyte data trove exposes the offshore secrets of wealthy elites from more than 200 countries and territories. These are people who use tax and secrecy havens to buy property and hide assets; many avoid taxes and worse. They include more than 330 politicians and 130 Forbes billionaires, as well as celebrities, fraudsters, drug dealers, royal family members and leaders of religious groups around the world.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists spent more than a year structuring, researching and analyzing the more than 11.9 million records in the Pandora Papers leak. The task involved three main elements: journalists, technology and time.
    Source here

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm curious to see how/why South Dakota seems to feature in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm curious to see how/why South Dakota seems to feature in this.
    One article said:

Specifically, South Dakota and Nevada are among the U.S. states that have "adopted financial secrecy laws that rival those of offshore jurisdictions," the journalists found.

But there were no details.

I’m just shocked and dismayed to learn that oligarchs is Russia, Africa, and the Middle East are trying to hide their wealth. Could this possibly mean that corruption may exist in those areas of the world? This is just very distressing. Now, I’m going to need to meditate for an hour to rebalance my chakras.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I doubt if Americans are the interested readers of this story.

Somewhere I hear one of my public school teachers saying for the umpteenth time...

"Power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I mean, don't we all desire to "stick it to the man"? why is it wrong when it's rich people doing it

#RESIST

User Tag List