Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shield Arms SA15 mags, have they been reliable for you?

@Shit Mods - this is the most recent (which doesn't really track with me) Shield Arms thread I could find, but I'm notoriously bad at search, so please move this as nec.

Whew...last post about stuff from the NRA convention last weekend, been a bit verbose all over P-F tonight.

So forums of the past allowed me the privilege to befriend @Eric Pfleger in my beloved Montana. This friendship allowed me to meet Ben, another human who's friendship is a privilege. When Shield Arms released their video of their 43x/48 mags and people poo-poo'd it, Ben was quick to post that he was good friends with one of the two owners and further that his friend's integrity was something he believed in 100%.

I happened upon the Shield booth at the convention and was intrigued by the conversation the other owner was having with two "old" guys (I'm 54AF, so they had to be 70-ish). One of the OG's was asking why he had to use the Shield mag release if he's not planning to do a bunch of rapid reloads on the range. The Shield guy explains that it's not the insertion or rapid release of the mags that wear out the OEM mag catch, but the little bits of vibration during firing that eventually saws through the OEM catch.

If that's old news to everyone else, mea culpa, it was new to me. He went on to say that they were changing their literature to say their mag catch was mandatory. OG asks if that means he can't use his OEM mags. Shield guy says they can, but they need to engage the mag catch and let the OEM mag slide past it before releasing it to grab in place. OG asks how much the Shield mag catch costs, guy hands OG one and says, nada, use it in good health. I instantly fist bumped him and complimented his customer service as the OG's tittered a thank you and went on their way.

I picked up the demo 43x they had on display and he launched into an explanation of the new vendor, new steel, new dimples, etc of their new gen3 mags. I gotta say, I was impressed and he was carrying them in his edc G48. I damn near bought 3 mags and a mag catch since I was pretty much convinced I was gonna but a 43x now that I could (sorta) carry AIWB again. See my Jeff Gonzales/AIWB post here.

Anyway, anyway, I'm not buying a 43x or 48 anytime soon. But if I did, I'd pick up some Shield gen3 mags and one of their mag catches to test for myself. I'd be surprised to learn that the two seemingly quality owners I met were hucksters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    @Shit Mods - this is the most recent (which doesn't really track with me) Shield Arms thread I could find, but I'm notoriously bad at search, so please move this as nec.

Whew...last post about stuff from the NRA convention last weekend, been a bit verbose all over P-F tonight.

So forums of the past allowed me the privilege to befriend @Eric Pfleger in my beloved Montana. This friendship allowed me to meet Ben, another human who's friendship is a privilege. When Shield Arms released their video of their 43x/48 mags and people poo-poo'd it, Ben was quick to post that he was good friends with one of the two owners and further that his friend's integrity was something he believed in 100%.

I happened upon the Shield booth at the convention and was intrigued by the conversation the other owner was having with two "old" guys (I'm 54AF, so they had to be 70-ish). One of the OG's was asking why he had to use the Shield mag release if he's not planning to do a bunch of rapid reloads on the range. The Shield guy explains that it's not the insertion or rapid release of the mags that wear out the OEM mag catch, but the little bits of vibration during firing that eventually saws through the OEM catch.

If that's old news to everyone else, mea culpa, it was new to me. He went on to say that they were changing their literature to say their mag catch was mandatory. OG asks if that means he can't use his OEM mags. Shield guy says they can, but they need to engage the mag catch and let the OEM mag slide past it before releasing it to grab in place. OG asks how much the Shield mag catch costs, guy hands OG one and says, nada, use it in good health. I instantly fist bumped him and complimented his customer service as the OG's tittered a thank you and went on their way.

I picked up the demo 43x they had on display and he launched into an explanation of the new vendor, new steel, new dimples, etc of their new gen3 mags. I gotta say, I was impressed and he was carrying them in his edc G48. I damn near bought 3 mags and a mag catch since I was pretty much convinced I was gonna but a 43x now that I could (sorta) carry AIWB again. See my Jeff Gonzales/AIWB post here.

Anyway, anyway, I'm not buying a 43x or 48 anytime soon. But if I did, I'd pick up some Shield gen3 mags and one of their mag catches to test for myself. I'd be surprised to learn that the two seemingly quality owners I met were hucksters.
    Not hucksters just a poor product (Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags) see plenty of videos showing why on YouTube.

Had 20 samples of Gen 1 and Gen 2. 6 ran flawlessly

Didn’t even realize there was a Gen 3 mag, I’m one of the happy SA 15 mag owners. I bought one of the first run 48’s (silver slide). At some point I ended up buying two Gen 1 mags and the SA mag catch, they worked great and I ended up buying three more. But by then the Gen 2 mags were out and the Gen 2 mags would not lock into the Gen 1 catch. Called SA and they told me I needed the Gen2 catch, it will work with both 1 and 2 mags, they gave me a discount code. Sure enough with the Gen 2 catch all mags locked in fine. The five mags I had always ran great, never any issues with them.

About a year and a half ago I bought a G48 MOS private party, the package included a red dot and two Gen 2 SA15 mags with the Gen 2 catch. They ran great in the MOS gun too. I’ve since bought three more Gen 2 mags as well as two of the plus five extensions. For a total of 8-fifteen and 2-20 round SA mags, have not had an issue with any of them. Just last week I put 260 rounds through the MOS gun, problem free. I’ve since added two of the 9 round SA mags for my G43 and so far so good with it.

I’m Glad I loaded up on mags when I did, no telling if the Gen 3 mags will work with the Gen 2 mag catch. That is a pain in the rear.

G48, 48MOS, 43 with SA Mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    The Shield guy explains that it's not the insertion or rapid release of the mags that wear out the OEM mag catch, but the little bits of vibration during firing that eventually saws through the OEM catch.

Did not know this. Thought it would be inserting mags that would be the problem.

I was gonna but a 43x now that I could (sorta) carry AIWB again.

I have found the 43X *somewhat* more comfortable and concealable (AIWB) as compared to any other standard width Glock/semi - to include the 26. That said, the 43X is a little tougher for me to shoot well as compared to others.
    I have three of the Shield Arms mags. Likely Gen 1, but I don't really know. Zero malfs or issues to date (with either the 43X or SA mags). That said, I haven't put a *ton* of rounds through either. But, I got the mags almost as soon as I got the pistol (probably would not have gone 43X were it not for the availability of the SA mags) so they have been paired together almost from the git go. The factory Glock mags that came with the 43X are fairly pristine. I like the 43X enough that I recently installed an Apex trigger shoe (to try an help alleviate some of my suckage); and I keeping thinking that the 43X will be the next pistol of mine to be adorned with a dot. I keep dragging my feet on this though because the G26 exists and I still carry that quite a bit. Round and round....

Last thing. I have to laugh a little because for years we clamored for a single stack 9mm from Glock. Then, when Glock finally releases such an animal, everyone bitches cause it's harder to shoot. Well, no shit! I tend to treat the 43X like a J frame. I carry it for convenience, not for combat (which is probably a horrible mindset). For instance, I went kayaking the other day, 43X went on that trip (although, again, 26 would have been just fine). If I had it to do over, I would probably choose a Gen 5 26 over a 43x and call it good; but I don't think the G5 G26 existed when I got the 43X and sometimes, the 43X does fit the bill a little better. We really are splitting hairs when picking between the 43X and 26.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 04-23-2023 at 08:10 AM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I finally shot a 43X for the first time 2wks ago. My buddy bought it right when they went to black slides, Shield mags & catch arrived a couple weeks later and he's run them exclusively ever since with zero issues. He'd also installed an Apex trigger and Ameriglo sights. It's a Glock, I liked it, shot it just fine, got my hits. For AIWB, I'm all about it. For IWB, the shorter butt of the 26.5 really the deciding factor for me. That I shoot it much better than I do the 43X is just a bonus.

User Tag List