Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield Arms SA15 mags, have they been reliable for you?

Shield Arms SA15 mags, have they been reliable for you?

For those using the S15 mags, how have they performed for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From using them for thousands of rounds with all types of factory 9mm ammo, I do not think the Shield Arms S15 Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags are *not quite* as reliable in function as the 10 round factory OEM magazine. Besides that, the main reason I do not use them anymore, is because at least in *my* G43X using the Shield Arms steel mag release, it takes very little mag release travel and pressure to release the mags, and I have had two accidental mag releases with them while carrying the pistol holstered. So for ** me** the SA15 mags were close but no cigar. As always YMMV. I have since dumped the the SA15 mags and the G43X and now carry a S&W Shield Plus that I am completely satisfied with.

I briefly ran a Shield mag release and two Shield S15 mags in my Glock 48. Zero issues or problems due to the magazines.

These are my notes from first session of 107 rounds on 6/13/21:

Indoor range session to put the two S15 magazines and steel catch through their paces. Ammo was American Eagle 124 FMJ and HST 147 JHP.

tl;dr: Mags are good to go.

Shot a series of drills and tests with different load outs. Started by barney magging 15+1 and inserting the mags as left loaded last night. Shot two mags worth.

Moved on to the HST. I shot 10 rounds, loaded 3, 3, 2, and 2, to try and precipitate a fail to feed malfunction near the end of the mag. No issues. I then shot "The Test" using the HST for a 95-1X.

Then back to the AE for drills to exercise the mags. These include: Consistency Drill at 5 yards for 5/10. FYL for 8/10; and another TT for a 93-1X. Throughout this, I had zero stoppages, no fails to feed or other malfunctions. At least three of these were shot 15+1.

Total 20 rounds of HST and 87 of AE. 107 for the day.

I shot one more session of 50 rounds, several times loaded 15+1, and had no issues then either. I later sold the G48, and thus sold the SA mag catch and both mags, but I found them satisfactory in my brief experience.

I have 9 S15 mags and use them in a 43X and 48. None have had any issues. These have been used for around 1500 rounds and all with the stock OEM Glock mag button. I have a Shield arms metal mag button but since the guns are not my primary CC gun I haven't switched it out yet.

If one "needs" 15 rounds then carry a gun designed for 15 rounds.....just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If one "needs" 15 rounds then carry a gun designed for 15 rounds.....just a thought.....
    Can’t really argue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    You never need that 11th round…until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    From using them for thousands of rounds with all types of factory 9mm ammo, I do not think the Shield Arms S15 Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags are *not quite* as reliable in function as the 10 round factory OEM magazine.
    I’m kind of amazed hearing this so please specify and expand. Multiple mags, ammo types, round counts through 3 different 43xs without a failure with my experience. What problems have you had?

I've had good luck with two of mags when Shield Arms was releasing them early 2020. I forgot the approximate round count but inbetween those two mags well over 7,000 through it, they worked well in my silver G48. There was this one issue with one of my mags for about 100rds where I had about 4 nosedives but it went away and I haven't experienced any problems since then. This was well beyond the 2,000rd mark and despite that, I fully trust these mags for carry in that specific 48 I have.

I'll probably grab some more of them later on but for now I just use my OEM mags for practice so I don't put any more wear on the springs. On my two 48s I own, they don't lock back but I've tried it on other people's guns and they did. Doesn't bother me though.

I've not had any feeding issues. I have had all three crack .

the worst on is definitely under 2k rounds and almost definitely under 1k

The other is under 500

And the third has fired exactly 150 and cracked.

All three have cracked at the base of the U at the back and the worst one has also cracked on one of the lips. Still works but nothing I trust for carry.

They have promised to replace them under warranty so i await the next shipment here with my replacement parts.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List