Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training Pistol

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Played hoodie this afternoon after working all weekend just to do this…
    Name:  E854DA4C-474E-42CD-9C38-BF9AAE94DD00.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  827E1DE5-2CE0-45CE-B8F4-52F2987F26FA.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  84.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I think you need the following items if you are going to be doing dry fire training.

The problem that I have with the safety barrels is that they won't allow you to do drills using dummy rounds. I am not saying don't get the safety barrel, merely pointing out that at some point you may want to use dummy rounds, so make sure your dry fire protocol addresses that issue.

https://rogersshootingschool.com/pro...aining-aid-trt

https://stactionpro.com/product/9-mm...r-dummy-round/

Loading the mag with S-T dummy rounds and using the TRT will enable you to have enough weight in the mag to make it fall free (the S-T's weigh a little over 1/3 of what a 124gr 9mm does - so if you put 5 of 6 in the mag that would be the equivalent of 2 or 3 loaded rounds).

I have a couple of billet aluminum training mages - don't know who makes them. IDK if this is current info, but Rings (the blue gun people) was stopping sales of their blue guns and training mags to civilians. Unsure what the deal is - perhaps worried about liability should some person who was in the process of turning their life around painted one black and used it in a robbery with bad results to the beloved youth, who, as I said, was turning their life around. Or, maybe it was an agreement with the manufacturers or the pistols copied - conjecture, as IDK.

Nonetheless, these guys have blue weighted training mags available:

https://www.alternateforce.net/glock...magazines.html
    Double alpha sells weighted dummy mags for Glocks, P320 and CZs.

I usually buy dummy rounds that are made with real lead bullets (usually 124gr) just no powder and an elastic plug instead of primers. I’m anal so I weight my loaded practice mags the same as my competition classifier mags.

Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post
    Some great points and advice. Thank you. I went with the Barrel Blok just to address some of those issues. I hadn’t gotten around to dummy rounds yet however and those look good. One of the things I like about the barrel Blok is it gives my wife and daughter real time notice that the pistol is a training aid if they were to walk into the room when I was doing some practice. I always notify them first but you know how that works. The orange flag is immediate reassurance to them.

https://bloksafety.com/

Attachment 77975
    For a dedicated dry gun I have also cut off a spare striker tip in the past. Allows you to still feel trigger weight and wall but no chance of ignition. It’s another way to make a training gun “safe.”

Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post
    No sir it will not extract as it is rimless. It allows full manipulation of the slide. Really a very simple yet cool little device.
    Much obliged; I have one on order.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Cool gizmo.

Question for ya?

If you insert this barrel blok into the breach, and close the slide on it, do a dry press, and then cycle the slide to reset the connector, does the blok get extracted from the chamber?

The issue I have using my Tipton Snap Caps for Dry Practice is that when I move the slide, the dummy round, being machined with a lip as per a real cartridge case, ejects as per normal. As a result, I hardly ever use them.

Looking for a better solution that will allow me to dry practice with a snap cap, *and* cycle the slide. The fact a large orange flag sticks out of the barrel is a plus, too; I just wasn't sure how this blok thing worked.

Thanks!
    I would recommend double alpha academy dry fire mags. They are weighted and mimic the oem plus 2 mag extensions for glocks. They allow you to rack the slide without the slide locking back

CHNEAL:

Thanks for a thought provoking post. I have been doing something similar for a number of years. I settled on my primary carry gun, then obtained a police trade in version of the same gun and equipped it exactly the same as my carry gun. Then I added a dedicated spare set up the same way as the first two. My practice and reasoning is this: I vet/zero my primary carry gun and shoot it enough to annually verify that it is working properly. I clean it immediately after a range session (I do not like the idea of carrying a dirty gun). My second gun is my training gun. I shoot it extensively and clean it far less frequently than my carry gun. When I teach/attend a shoot/train, I swap out my carry gun for my trainer and vice versa once I finish that range session. My third gun has been shot enough to verify its reliability and zero and is stored. In the event of a justified use of force, I assume that my primary gun will be taken as evidence. I also assume I will probably never get it back. My "spare" then becomes my primary carry gun.

Food for thought.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    CHNEAL:

Thanks for a thought provoking post. I have been doing something similar for a number of years. I settled on my primary carry gun, then obtained a police trade in version of the same gun and equipped it exactly the same as my carry gun. Then I added a dedicated spare set up the same way as the first two. My practice and reasoning is this: I vet/zero my primary carry gun and shoot it enough to annually verify that it is working properly. I clean it immediately after a range session (I do not like the idea of carrying a dirty gun). My second gun is my training gun. I shoot it extensively and clean it far less frequently than my carry gun. When I teach/attend a shoot/train, I swap out my carry gun for my trainer and vice versa once I finish that range session. My third gun has been shot enough to verify its reliability and zero and is stored. In the event of a justified use of force, I assume that my primary gun will be taken as evidence. I also assume I will probably never get it back. My "spare" then becomes my primary carry gun.

Food for thought.

Bruce
    Thank you for the great info and insight. Ive had a couple others mention the “ pair and a spare” method and I believe it is the way i will move. Although my not weak OCD would rather go two pair! Gives me a bedside, basement, training and carry gun all the same and any could be put into service in place of any other. This is the point where my wife asks if Ive taken my meds today!

Thank s again stay safe.

Much obliged; I have one on order.
    This Barrel Blok device package arrived and I started using it today for Dry Practice in my G34 gamer gun.

Name:  IMG_9703.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  58.7 KB

I thought it might not be long enough for the bigger Glock, but it seems they thought of that, as it sticks out about 1/2" or so.

Draws with it inserted are no problem. The trigger press is now a more muted "thunk" than a typical "CLICK" as the striker releases. I wondered if my AMG Commander timer would still pick that up (I use it a lot to time things) and it sure does, no problem.

Racking the slide requires slightly more effort, I'm guessing the extractor is grabbing on the case rim then rubbing as it slides over the plastic. Certainly doable though.

I have not used the 3 mag inserts that came with it yet, but I have some Rogers Shooting ones that seem to do the same thing (suppress the slide stop lever enough to not allow it to raise into the slide, thus not locking the slide back when cycled dry)?

I am very pleased with this purchase. Thanks @CHNEAL for making the suggestion, it was a good one.

This Barrel Blok device package arrived and I started using it today for Dry Practice in my G34 gamer gun.

Name:  IMG_9703.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  58.7 KB

I thought it might not be long enough for the bigger Glock, but it seems they thought of that, as it sticks out about 1/2" or so.

Draws with it inserted are no problem. The trigger press is now a more muted "thunk" than a typical "CLICK" as the striker releases. I wondered if my AMG Commander timer would still pick that up (I use it a lot to time things) and it sure does, no problem.

Racking the slide requires slightly more effort, I'm guessing the extractor is grabbing on the case rim then rubbing as it slides over the plastic. Certainly doable though.

I have not used the 3 mag inserts that came with it yet, but I have some Rogers Shooting ones that seem to do the same thing (suppress the slide stop lever enough to not allow it to raise into the slide, thus not locking the slide back when cycled dry)?

I am very pleased with this purchase. Thanks @CHNEAL for making the suggestion, it was a good one.

I am happy that after all this time and info I have gotten from PF I was able to give back at least a tiny bit to help.

Ok so thanks to the generosity of P-F and especially two great members, The hardware is all finished!
    I am now researching the CoolFire training system. Rather expensive but I admit to being intrigued. Anyone here have any experience with it? Care to share your thoughts/observations?

Name:  386C429A-0538-4BE9-A150-BECD1AC4B32B.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  54.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool fire

@CHNEAL

I have experience with airsoft for training and in watching videos for cool fire I think it would suffer some of the same issues.

1. Recoil is so mild that it’s not helpful for recoil control practice.
    2. Recoil is proportional to the waning gas charge.
    3. Refilling gas wastes time that could be spent training.

With red dots on your guns I don’t think it’s worth the money.
    I would recommend the Glock Store reset trigger instead.

The exception being if you wanted to practice specific things like index shooting without using sights. But a Glock store trigger plus laser bullet would work as well and have more applicability to other things.

If you had zero ability to live fire then I guess maybe cool fire would have more use.

User Tag List