Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signs of a good grip

Banned
    If you're shooting Weaver you can tilt your head a bit. If you're shooting isosceles all you need to do is put the gun in front of your dominant eye. Dave Sevigny is cross eye dominant, and it hasn't seemed to effect him in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    If you're shooting Weaver you can tilt your head a bit. If you're shooting isosceles all you need to do is put the gun in front of your dominant eye. Dave Sevigny is cross eye dominant, and it hasn't seemed to effect him in the least.
    This is a very good point, and kind of what I meant when I mentioned turning your head (I still turn my head slightly, but you put it better - just get the gun infront of your eye).
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Drew said:
    When I shoot, I can't keep a straight wrist and get a sight picture with my left eye. In other words, my bore isn't aligned with my forearm like Todd Jarrett recommends.
    I think it was spwenger who said that if you are shooting anything resembling isosceles, then you really aren't keeping the bore axis of the firearm in line with your forearm. (You can't.)

He wasn't saying it as an argument against any version of isosceles (modified or not), he was simply mentioning it because so many people teach that grip---then immediately make the person change it when they shoot isosceles. Get a good two-handed grip on it, and you'll be fine.

Line up the gun in front of your eye. For most cross-dominant people, turn your head slightly, and it'll work out just fine if you are shooting any version of isosceles. If shooting a Weaver variant---just cant your head a little and it'll line up.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Furthermore, not everyone gets to choose his pistol. I shot SIGs for years, which have bigger/wider grips than the P30 as I've configured it. What mattered to me was trigger reach, which was adjustable by using a short trigger.
    This is the category i fall into. I'm issued a Sig 229 that I've carried for almost 6 years and until recently I've had no grip issues. I can't stop riding the slide stop lever with my right thumb while using a thumbs forward grip. I've tried placing my right thumb on top of my left thumb "heel" but it seems that my right thumb eventually finds its way back onto the slide stop lever. It's frustrating and probably occurs on 1/3 of my slidelocks (or lack there of). I've tried to practice repetitve emergency reload drills and concentrating on my thumb placement and grip but I'm struggling. When I was carrying a G19 off duty I never had an issue but I believe constant practice with the G19 vs. my p229 created a training scar that is impacting my 229 grip. Anyone have any suggestions?

We are diminished
    Doughnut -- Slow down. You're going the right way by actively changing your SH thumb position. You just need to practice at a pace where you can guarantee you're getting and maintaining that grip from shot to shot. It will become habit quickly enough. Trust me, I've been there!

I agree, slowing the pace and focusing a bit more would help. When using a thumbs forward grip is it correct to stack the thumbs or should the right thumb lay against the gun? I imagine its subjective to the gun/shooter.

Thanks guys.

- Drew

Doughnut,
    You are far from the first person to experience that issue with SIG's but it can be overcome. Many pistols have different issues and they can all be dealt with. When I began taking serious pistol classes I was shooting a Beretta and whenever I started cranking I would push up the slide stop and lock the slide back during a string of fire. Once someone diagnosed it, I changed my SH thumb position and eventually cleared it.
    When transitioned to SIG's I had the same issue you do and dealt with it the same way.
    Todd's right on, slow down, make your new thumb position part of your conscious training regimen and repeat it until you do subconsciously, which is, incidentally, how we learn every new skill.
    Conscious application+repetition=subconscious execution

Quote Originally Posted by Rverdi View Post
    Conscious application+repetition=subconscious execution
    That is worth repeating. Well said.

I have to say my grip is less than perfect more often than not. But once the grip is right, everything in shooting is significantly easier. Gun is rock solid/stable, trigger pull is always straight back no matter the speed, split time is faster, sights are immediately back to where they were right after recoil, little difference in recoil recovery time between 9 and .45... It's just a wonderful feeling. I just hope it happens all the time.

Everyone grips the gun differently so strictly following someone's advice position by position may not a good idea. I just make sure fundamental rules (based on physics) of gripping handguns are achieved such as high grip, maximum contact surface from both hands, center of web on center of back strap, stronger weak hand grip, firm grip with flexible trigger finger on strong hand, good trigger finger placement, etc.

One thing I noticed is that my gun can tell me how to grip it better when it fires, or maybe because I can get feedback from recoil to make little adjustment. I often pick up the pace after a couple of shots (usually after two shots on the first target). That's a clear indication that I have to get my initial grip right.

User Tag List