Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signs of a good grip

I think the very first thing I learned while pistol shooting for the first time at a rental range was that "the ideal grip does not always work for everyone."

I had fired my first couple shots on a 9mm 5" 1911, and then asked the instructor (one was assigned to each first-time shooter) if my grip was ok. He said no, and then proceeded to organize my hands using guidelines like muzzle-forearm alignment (this was in a weaver stance), making sure such-and-such finger or knuckle was aligned with such-and-such part of the gun. Eventually he pronounced that my grip was perfect, and stood back to let me finish off the magazine. I have quite small hands (the "small" Hatch gloves are a little too big for me), and it felt pretty uncomfortable, but I had no idea what it was supposed to feel like to hold a handgun so I shrugged it off.

On firing the first shot (keep in mind, 9mm in a heavy gun), a spike of pain shot through my hand and wrist. I started to shift my hands a bit to make them more comfortable and the instructor jumped in to tell me that I had to get used to the "correct" grip in order to shoot properly. I tried another shot, and the pain was even worse. I set it down, and that was the end of my first handgun shooting session.

I still do not know specifically what was wrong, but my strong hand thumb joint and wrist were sore for a week. Needless to say, I never went back. Since then I've realized that, for me, exact grip placement requirements should always be taken with a grain of salt, unless I happen to have identical hands as my instructor and am shooting the same gun.

I know of at least one instructor who would consider such grip position as over-gripping the gun and advocates against it. I don't think that position of middle finger knuckle relative to trigger guard can differentiate bad grip from a good one. Aside from large variance of human hand size, one also needs to consider a difference in gun size too. Where my finger end up on my grip-reduced 1911 will be different from my hand position on Glock 21.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    one also needs to consider a difference in gun size too. Where my finger end up on my grip-reduced 1911 will be different from my hand position on Glock 21.
    I think that was Max' point. He was trying to convey that you needed a gun sized properly to your hand, and that's one sign of a properly sized gun. I don't recall if it was that specific video, or another, but it was one thing he emphasized.

We are diminished
    So I just drew my P30 to see where, exactly, my strong hand middle finger knuckle is located when I grip the gun because candidly, I've never given it the slightest bit of thought.

My knuckle is just underneath the right side edge of the trigger guard. This is with a small backstrap and medium right side grip panel. My "shooter's callous" is forward of my knuckle slightly. I'm fairly confident the P30 fits me well.

Furthermore, not everyone gets to choose his pistol. I shot SIGs for years, which have bigger/wider grips than the P30 as I've configured it. What mattered to me was trigger reach, which was adjustable by using a short trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by rijndael View Post
    I think that was Max' point. He was trying to convey that you needed a gun sized properly to your hand, and that's one sign of a properly sized gun. I don't recall if it was that specific video, or another, but it was one thing he emphasized.
    I think it is a valid point (properly sized gun) regardless where you like your knuckles. Having said that, and with a full respect to Mr. Michel achievements and knowledge, I don't know if that's the criterion that convinces me. I have one pistol where my grip naturally lands that knuckle over a trigger guard, and that creates some unwanted issues for me. I claim no expertise, just reporting what I've found.

Banned
    Ultimately all that matters is this:

1. Can you reach the trigger such that you can pull it straight back without disrupting the sights?

2. Are you holding the gun in such a way as to reduce muzzle flip as much as reasonably possible, while still holding it in a neutral manner that allows the sights to come to rest in the same place they started?

If you can answer yes to both of the above, your grip is good. It matters not a lick where your knuckle lands. Your grip can always be better (just like golf), but start with good and go from there.

Here's a question.

I'm a right handed shooter, but left eye dominant. When I shoot, I can't keep a straight wrist and get a sight picture with my left eye. In other words, my bore isn't aligned with my forearm like Todd Jarrett recommends. So I have to bend my strong hand wrist slightly outward. Is that a big deal?

I can shoot with my right eye fine -- its just not my natural "go to" eye -- so I've been thinking of trying to switch.

- Drew

Quote Originally Posted by DrewJoseph View Post
    Here's a question.

I'm a right handed shooter, but left eye dominant. When I shoot, I can't keep a straight wrist and get a sight picture with my left eye. In other words, my bore isn't aligned with my forearm like Todd Jarrett recommends. So I have to bend my strong hand wrist slightly outward. Is that a big deal?

I can shoot with my right eye fine -- its just not my natural "go to" eye -- so I've been thinking of trying to switch.

- Drew
    Can't relate on a personal level, but some cross-dominant shooters I know rotate their head a bit - i.e., in your case, slight head turn to the right, putting your left eye behind rear sight. When I learned about this trick, I started to use it with my weak-hand shooting and it seems to work OK.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Drew: If you can, look for video of Larry Vickers shooting a pistol. He's cross dominant as well, and seems to have adapted quite well. He turns his head to the side to bring the dominant eye in line with the sights. It might work for you as well.

I'm cross-dominant aswell, RH-LE. Some good posts over on Brian Enos' forum re: this. Turning your head is the simplest way to sort your issues out, though you give up some sight on your left side (really not much, you dont have to turn your head very far).

Alot of other people recommend putting a little bit of clear tape over your shooting glasses on your left eye. It takes some tinkering, but when you sort out the kinks the tape will obscure your left-eye vision just enough that it doesn't interfere with your sight picture. Your other eye learns to compensate for this, and you end up right-eye dominant (over a longish time).

I did something similar - when I started shooting I would close my left eye. As I learnt more, I realized that I'd really rather have both eyes open, so I started squinting with my left eye. The squint became less and less, and now - no squint required!

Anyway, give those a try and see what works.
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

User Tag List