Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signs of a good grip

Site Supporter

Signs of a good grip

Max Michel, in one of his online videos, emphasized placing your middle finger joint (strong hand) directly under the trigger guard. He is trying to emphasize that you need a properly sized gun for your hand, and I agree, but how important is that point?

With the Glock, M&P, and P30, my knuckle is just to the right of the guard and to get it directly under it, I have to severely compromise my grip on the backstrap. It seems like it'd work for folks who have larger hands, but not smaller.

Other than Max, I've never heard of anyone talking about those two points for indexing a grip.

I have never seen that video, do you have a link? I have seen people advocate the index finger of the weak hand be placed right under the trigger guard, but never specifically a knuckle. I used to place my middle finger there instead and my index further forward. I will have to try it later and see how it feels.

Site Supporter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgByPFHCpQE

At about 1:50

Looking closely at his grip, it looks similar to mine, it's not quite under. Perhaps I'm taking his words too literally, and he really means the middle finger segment (or whatever you'd call it), but I don't think he means the joint itself.

My grip seems to naturally place the second knuckle of my strong hand middle finger, and the first knuckle of my weak hand index finger, right under the trigger guard. I guess it's significant that I shoot a P7M8, as I do not need my strong hand thumb to access any controls. I use my trigger finger to operate the mag release.

Good grip

I have tried that style of grip but end up with to much finger in the trigger guard and pulling the shots. For me a more neautral grip where I can still get to the mag release and slide stop works the best.

Site Supporter
    Todd Jarrett seems like prefer having the gun in a straight line, all the way from elbow to front sight. That is what I've traditionally tried to do:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2856867071363#

Many instructors advocate what Max suggests and many more actually cut out a portion of the trigger guard as an index point of reference for their grip. During long shooting sessions I actually develop a callus on my finger from gripping under the trigger guard. Is it necessarily right or wrong, depends.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Remember when you're seeing this type of advice, it's often built around the concept of the ideal. With the incredible variability built into the human being by God/evolution (depending on your view of existence) the ideal may not always be what you can get. Speaking personally, I have a callous on the middle joint of the middle finger on my right hand, as that's where the trigger guard lines up when I assume a firing grip that places the slide in line with my forearm.

Looking at the video it does appear that his knuckle is more under the trigger guard then mine when I grip. I do however have the same callous as everyone else does on my middle finger knuckle. It was a good video and it is interesting that alot of his mechanics are just like what Todd teaches in his AFHF class.

Site Supporter
    I've gleaned a number of points from his videos, and Todd J.'s. One thing I need to work on is not rolling my shoulders.

User Tag List