Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Where is the "Parkerized under FSB" column? 😉
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I don't think I want anything from a super small manufacturer, and I don't quite get the way their smoke chamber/fire-pot is set up, but this thing is built like a tank.

Kando Rival Pellet Grill

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Looking at the prices of the better pellet smokers I'll just keep using my charcoal smoker. I smoked two sockeye over the weekend and they turned out fantastic.

My smoker isn't anywhere near our house so no problems there. If anything it might catch the woods on fire but I don't see how that could happen. I cleared everything combustible around it for 15'.

The only problem with charcoal is regulating the heat with dampers. Takes more skill than punching a few buttons. Once you get it dialed in though it's pretty easy to keep the temp below 200°.

Around here a person would want a roof over an electric smoker. That only leaves my garage and I don't really want to smoke anything in there except cigars.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Looking at the prices of the better pellet smokers I'll just keep using my charcoal smoker. I smoked two sockeye over the weekend and they turned out fantastic.

My smoker isn't anywhere near our house so no problems there. If anything it might catch the woods on fire but I don't see how that could happen. I cleared everything combustible around it for 15'.

The only problem with charcoal is regulating the heat with dampers. Takes more skill than punching a few buttons. Once you get it dialed in though it's pretty easy to keep the temp below 200°.

Around here a person would want a roof over an electric smoker. That only leaves my garage and I don't really want to smoke anything in there except cigars.
    One of my several minor issues with my charcoal smoker is that I went and built a roof over it so I could leave it out, I covered, at all times and reduce the fiddle-fart involved in using it. Previously this involved rolling it out, getting out all the accessories, putting up some kind of rain/shade cover… meant it didn’t get used nearly as often as I’d like.

Having it under the cover means walk up, fill with charcoal, cooking in about an hour from first inkling. I’ve got the thing down to the point that RUNNING it isn’t much harder than a pellet. Certainly easier for me than starting over figuring out a new pellet.

But…

Combination of the roof situation (having an open fire in there seems increasingly ill-advised), the cleanup (either before first cook, or after last cook, gotta clean out the ash), and the general startup sequence, plus doing more and more short cooks with a lighter smoke (wings, salmon, etc.) has me pretty convinced I’ll wind up with a $2-3k pellet by year end.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    convinced I’ll wind up with a $2-3k pellet by year end.
    FWIW, on display at Walmart yesterday was the upgrade to my Pit Boss for $400. Low tech. Just works. The price difference can buy you a web enabled thermometer (and a lot of steak), if you feel the need.

ETA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-...9?athbdg=L1600
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

One of my several minor issues with my charcoal smoker is that I went and built a roof over it so I could leave it out, I covered, at all times and reduce the fiddle-fart involved in using it. Previously this involved rolling it out, getting out all the accessories, putting up some kind of rain/shade cover… meant it didn’t get used nearly as often as I’d like.

Having it under the cover means walk up, fill with charcoal, cooking in about an hour from first inkling. I’ve got the thing down to the point that RUNNING it isn’t much harder than a pellet. Certainly easier for me than starting over figuring out a new pellet.

But…

Combination of the roof situation (having an open fire in there seems increasingly ill-advised), the cleanup (either before first cook, or after last cook, gotta clean out the ash), and the general startup sequence, plus doing more and more short cooks with a lighter smoke (wings, salmon, etc.) has me pretty convinced I’ll wind up with a $2-3k pellet by year end.
    I have a gas grill on my back deck that I use on everything that doesn't go in my smoker. Charcoal smoking is an all day commitment for me. I brine my salmon for about 4 hrs. dry it for 2 hrs. and smoke it for 3-4 hrs. Charcoal is great for grilling but it's such a PIA with the cleanup plus a fire hazard on a wood deck. My ex BIL was a corporate chef and he wouldn't grill with anything except charcoal. He liked mesquite the best. I saw him grill 4 salmon at once for a party using charcoal. He had the touch. I'm not there with grilling but I've reached that point with smoking. With the price of salmon now I'm going to put some effort into the finished product. It's about the same price as rib eye steak for fresh fish which is in season now.

If a person had a covered area with a concrete floor an all in one pellet grilling/smoking unit would be the most versatile and easiest to use. My wife doesn't eat a lot of meat anymore and it's just the two of us living here. I don't grill as much as I used to but I still do it occasionally. I grilled some fresh salmon over the weekend. I used a 'gasp' gas grill.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    With the price of salmon now I'm going to put some effort into the finished product.
    IMO/IME salmon is all about the prep. cut/trim, brine, air dry, prellicle. last thing that matters is light smoke, not heavy, and pulling it in time (usually in phases by thickness)

If a person had a covered area with a concrete floor an all in one pellet grilling/smoking unit would be the most versatile and easiest to use. My wife doesn't eat a lot of meat anymore and it's just the two of us living here. I don't grill as much as I used to but I still do it occasionally. I grilled some fresh salmon over the weekend. I used a 'gasp' gas grill.
    we have a propane grill, and that'll never change. I think I prefer it to be a standalone device. among other things, wife uses it more than I do. I'd like to replace the current one, but I think we'll always have one.

Site Supporter
    Just picked up some salmon (farm raised Atlantic) for $8.97/lb at Kroger.... Normal these days is 11.99 for farm raised and $14.99 for fresh Atlantic.

I usually just skin it, slice and eat (or roll) it. When I do cook it, I'll season it however I'm feeling, sometimes brine in soy and honey, then wrap in foil and cook it for 7-8 minutes on high on the gas grill. Rare, no more, unless wife is joining me... She prefers more done. Never did get the craving for smoked. Always tastes overdone to me. The local Central Market (fancy HEB) sells several flavors of smoked that I buy for a friend when visiting. Hard for me to eat more than a bite or two.

Been making Gravlox (Gravlax?) a bunch lately. My kids are inhaling the stuff. More not cooked.

Back to pellets... I'm really jazzed to find out if that charcoal blend is any good... Now that I've had some recent charcoal experience, I've got the fever for the flavor. Crazy 4th sales here... In addition to the salmon, Boneless Ribeye (choice, but, if you pick carefully...) $6.77/lb, 16-20 shrimp $6.97/lb... Filling up my freezer this week.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

When it comes to salmon...if I'm spending the time to brine I'm going to make lox.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Futzing around with dampers on my charcoal smoker kept me from using it more often. I've used the new pellet grill more in two weeks than I did the charcoal in 3 months.

It sounds cliche but the Bluetooth/wifi controller is really a game changer for me.

I was afraid the smoke and finished product would not be as good but that has so far not been the case.

User Tag List