Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Smokers

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Mine has never gotten hot.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    It's a fairly thin piece of metal with a lot of surface area so it doesn't retain heat really at all. I haven't noticed any issues even when its over 100 degrees outside.
    I was more concerned with heat from being close to the cooker.

I'm planning on doing a wood top. It's still possible to do with wood even if it does tend to heat up, just need to possibly have a slightly different plan either way...

ETA:
    While we're on the subject of heat...

Does the bottom get hot? I was planning on enclosing the cart (not interested in the "comp cart")
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I was more concerned with heat from being close to the cooker.

I'm planning on doing a wood top. It's still possible to do with wood even if it does tend to heat up, just need to possibly have a slightly different plan either way...

ETA:
    While we're on the subject of heat...

Does the bottom get hot? I was planning on enclosing the cart (not interested in the "comp cart")
    I don't think I've ever paid enough attention to the bottom to say one way or another. I would think it would have to heat up to some degree, but I can't imagine its more than a gas grill with an enclosed cart which is generally cooking at a higher temperature.

Deleted wrong thread
    Last edited by UNK; 11-02-2023 at 10:07 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Is anybody using the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro? If so, how do you like it? Is it worth the extra cost over the regular Woodwind? There are some design and build improvements, but it seems like the biggest difference is the smoke box and I'm wondering if you couldn't get the same result with an aftermarket accessory, like a smoke tube. I'm particularly wondering because right now, the regular woodwind is on sale for $599 vs. the Woodwind Pro at $1,100. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Is anybody using the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro? If so, how do you like it? Is it worth the extra cost over the regular Woodwind? There are some design and build improvements, but it seems like the biggest difference is the smoke box and I'm wondering if you couldn't get the same result with an aftermarket accessory, like a smoke tube. I'm particularly wondering because right now, the regular woodwind is on sale for $599 vs. the Woodwind Pro at $1,100. Thanks.
    I'm happy with my regular 36" Woodwind, but it doesn't produce the dark bark color that this video shows.

David S.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I was watching some of those videos, which had me wondering whether there might not be another way to get those results on the regular Woodwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Thanks. I was watching some of those videos, which had me wondering whether there might not be another way to get those results on the regular Woodwind.
    It would be difficult. The Woodwind has a metal cover that can be drawn over or away from the firebox. You could potentially put wood chunks on it, but that would require you to remove the bottom grate and heavy drip tray. Not simple mid cook.

I haven't tried adding a pellet tube, but I don't think it would give the the same results. It might give you a bit more smoke flavor but I doubt it'll do what the Pro appears to do, based on those reviews.

My wife doesn't care for heavy smoke (weirdo), so I'm not going to replace my standard Woodwind now, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the Pro.

As an aside, I have yet to fill up my 36". If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the 24".
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I have a Recteq 590 not a woodwind, but I've been using a smoke tube more often and I swear I get a better bark with it on pork butts.

Nothing scientific, and I drink when I cook so I could be way off.

One bit of advice, keep it away from the internal temp probe the cooker uses to operate as it can throw things off if too close.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List