Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Smokers

Camp Chef WOODWIND PRO 36

That little smoke box thing is kind of interesting…

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Camp Chef WOODWIND PRO 36

That little smoke box thing is kind of interesting…
    I'm very intrigued by this. I have a 36" Woodwind that I'm happy with. If I had it to do over, I'd get this Pro
    David S.

My wife won a Treager pellet smoker/grille about 3 years ago in a raffle for Paris Farmers Union.
    I have always been a charcoal guy, so there was a big learning curve for me.
    It'll smoke, but not like a real smoker.
    I think of it as an outdoor oven, that adds smoke to the meat .

It works pretty well, but as an entry level unit, it is single wall, and fights to hold Temps in cold weather.
    They offered a blanket cover for it for over a hundo, so I bought a fiberglass welders blanket, and throw it over the grill when used in the cold.
    Works great.

I clean the lower part of the grill about every 3 burns, to reduce ash build up and to make sure that the burn pot is clear.
    It's been reliable, makes pretty awesome food, but I would not go out and buy one.
    If she had not won it, I'd just use Mt Weber kettle, that we grille on.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Hadn't see this thing. You can get a pellet smoker, gas grill, and griddle all in one device. I'm not super constrained for space but if I was I'd be considering it. Obvious downside being you can't smoke and grill like I can on two separate devices. two sizes, each with/without propane kit

https://www.bbqguys.com/camp-chef/ap...ekick-pg36hgsk

24in Version with gas grill
    Name:  2022-10-25 15_06_17-Camp Chef Apex 24-Inch Pellet Grill W_ Gas Kit and Sidekick - PG24HGSK _ BBQ.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  25.5 KB

36in Pellet grill only version
    Name:  2022-10-25 15_06_31-Camp Chef Apex 36-Inch Pellet Grill - PG36HG _ BBQGuys.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  22.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Hadn't see this thing. You can get a pellet smoker, gas grill, and griddle all in one device. I'm not super constrained for space but if I was I'd be considering it. Obvious downside being you can't smoke and grill like I can on two separate devices. two sizes, each with/without propane kit
    All it needs is some pull-out scissors and you can put a Swiss Army logo on it...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a RT-590. My thinking is...

• this is a starter pellet grill. I doubt it'll be the one I stick with over the long term.
    • Based on that, the size should be fine. My current smoker has 332 si of cooking area on one grate, 664 on two.
    • If that turns out to be wrong, when I upgrade later (to a Yoder, or Lone Star, or Smokin Brothers...) I can correct for the size.
    • In the short term, I can add an interior shelf ghetto style, or really step up to something like this, if I need more space.
    • Pretty much everyone seems happy with the RecTeq products.
    • I'd actually like to get the new Camp Chef, but the sell a 24 and a 36 and a 30 would be my sweet spot for size personally. Plus even the 24 is $300 more than the RT.
    • Not that this is a real genuine major concern, but aesthetically it matches the new propane grill I'm planning on buying too.

Name:  2023-01-27 09_33_49-RT-590 Wood Pellet Grill – recteq.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  22.5 KBName:  2023-01-27 09_33_36-Prestige 500 RSIB Infrared Rear Burner - P500RSIBPK-3 _ Napoleon.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  28.0 KB

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a RT-590. My thinking is...

• this is a starter pellet grill. I doubt it'll be the one I stick with over the long term.
    • Based on that, the size should be fine. My current smoker has 332 si of cooking area on one grate, 664 on two.
    • If that turns out to be wrong, when I upgrade later (to a Yoder, or Lone Star, or Smokin Brothers...) I can correct for the size.
    • In the short term, I can add an interior shelf ghetto style, or really step up to something like this, if I need more space.
    • Pretty much everyone seems happy with the RecTeq products.
    • I'd actually like to get the new Camp Chef, but the sell a 24 and a 36 and a 30 would be my sweet spot for size personally. Plus even the 24 is $300 more than the RT.
    • Not that this is a real genuine major concern, but aesthetically it matches the new propane grill I'm planning on buying too.

Name:  2023-01-27 09_33_49-RT-590 Wood Pellet Grill – recteq.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  22.5 KBName:  2023-01-27 09_33_36-Prestige 500 RSIB Infrared Rear Burner - P500RSIBPK-3 _ Napoleon.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  28.0 KB
    I've had my RT-590 for 4 years now and I've been very happy with it. I'm usually cooking for ~10 people and have more than enough space.

I would suggest buying the optional folding shelf for the front. It makes loading and unloading heavier cuts of meat a lot easier. I didn't get it initially, but added it on later and its more than worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I've had my RT-590 for 4 years now and I've been very happy with it. I'm usually cooking for ~10 people and have more than enough space.

I would suggest buying the optional folding shelf for the front. It makes loading and unloading heavier cuts of meat a lot easier. I didn't get it initially, but added it on later and its more than worth the money.
    Mine will be four years in March and I've done the same. I smoked then finished 14 ribeyes on it before. I've cooked for ~14 people and sometimes I didn't have to use the shelf even. The internal shelf is great though. I concur on the folding shelf on the front. I got mine later and dunno why I didn't in the first place.

Mine sits out uncovered most of the time because it's a 2-3 times a week thing and it's still going strong.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Mine will be four years in March and I've done the same. I smoked then finished 14 ribeyes on it before. I've cooked for ~14 people and sometimes I didn't have to use the shelf even. The internal shelf is great though. I concur on the folding shelf on the front. I got mine later and dunno why I didn't in the first place.

Mine sits out uncovered most of the time because it's a 2-3 times a week thing and it's still going strong.
    appreciate the input.

I'm planning on doing a version of this for the front shelf, just to tie it in with the rest of the bar area. Question since you both have the factory shelf, does it get hot?

appreciate the input.

I'm planning on doing a version of this for the front shelf, just to tie it in with the rest of the bar area. Question since you both have the factory shelf, does it get hot?
    It's a fairly thin piece of metal with a lot of surface area so it doesn't retain heat really at all. I haven't noticed any issues even when its over 100 degrees outside.

User Tag List