Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to NATO watch straps…

New to NATO watch straps…

I decided to give NATO watch straps a try. I ordered a 22mm wide strap for my Casio Duro but it was a really tight fit. The watch lugs ar 22mm but the strap measured 23mm wide.

I came up with my own technique to handle the tag end… first pic. After doing some research, I discovered the proper way to store the tag end is to tuck it under itself… second pic.
    Name:  IMG_2540.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2539.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  53.0 KB

Ditch the NATO now. Given single pass nylon straps, such as the Chevron by Crown & Buckle a try. They're not the only ones offering such, just one example. They achieve the same purpose without extraneous fabric and hardware.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Tried to like NATO straps but just couldn't. Here's where I get single pass straps - https://cnswatchbands.com/collection...le-pass-straps
    Regards, Ted

I did notice that the watch sits really high off my wrist with the two layers under the watch. Another annoyance I found was that the buckle sits on the side of my wrist, but on the bottom like a regular strap. I’ll wear it for now, but I’ve placed an order for a single piece straps. Thanks for the heads up!

Single pass is the way

After doing some research, I found another name for single pass straps… some call them ZULU STRAPS.

Site Supporter
    I have more than one NATO and have purchased a few based on their low price/colorways from CNS.

Having said that, J and he others are right, is the way and I do not intend to buy any more NATOS going forward.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    After doing some research, I found another name for single pass straps… some call them ZULU STRAPS.
    Zulu straps are usually single pass, use round hardware, and use a thicker material. NATO straps are usually two layer, use rectangular hardware, and use a thinner material. Some flux in the definitions, but that's what I've typically seen.

The original strap you posted is arguably a hybrid of the two, with the two layer design of a NATO, but the round hardware and thicker webbing of a Zulu.

While I personally prefer the Zulu over the NATO, that's more a function of the fact that my watches tend to be heavy divers, which the Zulu's thicker material does better with. I've since moved to an MN strap on my Sinn.

This PDW strap has transformed my Panerai. It wears so well and I'm not worried about dropping the watch. A few years ago i realized the factory rubber strap had cracked at the springbar, and I was a mm away from dropping the watch off my wrist. The replacement band (without buckle) was $170. This PDW strap is so much better

https://prometheusdesignwerx.com/col...44305579966751

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Zulu straps are usually single pass, use round hardware, and use a thicker material. NATO straps are usually two layer, use rectangular hardware, and use a thinner material. Some flux in the definitions, but that's what I've typically seen.

The original strap you posted is arguably a hybrid of the two, with the two layer design of a NATO, but the round hardware and thicker webbing of a Zulu.

While I personally prefer the Zulu over the NATO, that's more a function of the fact that my watches tend to be heavy divers, which the Zulu's thicker material does better with. I've since moved to an MN strap on my Sinn.
    What is a MN strap?

User Tag List