Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refresher on coaching a new shooter

Site Supporter

Refresher on coaching a new shooter

I’ll be hitting the range with a new handgun shooter and 9mm Glocks tomorrow.

The range allows for variable distance, so we’ll start very close and adjust from there. Targets must be attached to cardboard backing (no steel or stuff that breaks). I’m planning to use targets that change color at the impact location.

I’ll cover safety and marksmanship basics, but it’s been a while since I taught a new shooter. What are your tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I’ll be hitting the range with a new handgun shooter and 9mm Glocks tomorrow.

The range allows for variable distance, so we’ll start very close and adjust from there. Targets must be attached to cardboard backing (no steel or stuff that breaks). I’m planning to use targets that change color at the impact location.

I’ll cover safety and marksmanship basics, but it’s been a while since I taught a new shooter. What are your tips?
    Dummy rounds.

My newbies say that when the striker/hammer hits one and they move the sights, they "get it" quicker. Also, teaches malfunction clearing.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    1. Good on you for doing this.

2. Ears Plugs and Over the Ear Muffs cuts down noise/blast and can really lessen flinch.

3. Kerchief/collar for shooter such that hot brass cannot go down shirt

4. Eye Pro and Billed Hat

5. Well Fed/Hydrated student is a better student.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Are balloons allowed if you tape them to cardboard? It is fun to have something reactive.

Load 1 for the first few shots until you're sure they won't turn around excitedly with the gun in their hand.

I like paper plates to start. Easy to focus on aligning sights to each other without worrying about aligning to target, and the round plate helps them be roughly centered.

If there's no bench, a small folding table gives you/them somewhere to safely put the gun down to take a break.

I am about the last person on the forum to give advice on how to give advice, but: A while ago, as a new shooter myself, I got asked to take someone to the range for the first time.

Based on excellent advice here, I put together the attached short preso / handout to give them before we arrived.

In case it might spark an idea, here it is in pdf form.

TMTTR-3.0.pdf

Site Supporter
    Thanks everyone.

Balloons are a good idea, but we won’t be able to go down range for 30+ minutes at a time.

I will bring dummy rounds and double ear pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I’ll be hitting the range with a new handgun shooter and 9mm Glocks tomorrow. The range allows for variable distance, so we’ll start very close and adjust from there. Targets must be attached to cardboard backing (no steel or stuff that breaks). I’m planning to use targets that change color at the impact location. I’ll cover safety and marksmanship basics, but it’s been a while since I taught a new shooter. What are your tips?
    This is just my opinion, but I think that 'targets that change color at the impact location' are not optimal.

As far as I know, we're trying to encourage a front sight focus and proper follow-through; 'targets that change color at the impact location' actually work against that.

Instead, I'd suggest a plain target (such as a USPSA or IDPA target) or a plain piece of paper to start. Once you're satisfied that the person can shoot a group, I'd switch to something with a number of dots, such as a 'Press Six', and then to a formal drill, like a 'Dot Torture'.

If you have a 5 lb sledge or a regular hammer if not, and a piece of concrete or a block you don't mind hitting, have them hold the hammer as tight as they possibly can and hit it. Then have them hold it very loosely and hit it. Then have them hit it holding the hammer in what they feel is a natural grip and hit it. Explain that a proper pistol grip feels like that before you head out.

If the range rules allow have them empty a mag while just centering on the target and breathing evenly and calmly, pulling the trigger at a regular rhythm.

Everything else has been covered on PF for ages and they'll progress according to their aptitude and training. Avoiding giving them a bunch of grip, flinch, and stress scars is your goal for now I think.

Site Supporter
    A drill I’ve used successfully with a couple of people who had the “arched back get my face far far away from the noisy fire thing stance”

Have them face you in that stance mimicking holding a pistol and gently push them back with one hand, then tell them to adjust so you can’t push them backwards without some force.

If they’ve got just a little physicality they should be able to naturally find a stance that’s pretty good without all the left foot out right foot in square your hips etc.

This may or may not apply to you, but I also have to make sure to keep it fun and be a little more emotive /verbally positive than I usually am when I’m practicing and having a lot of fun with what I’m doing, but I’m not necessarily broadcasting that emotion out to the world because my brain is busy analyzing and enjoying it internally.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I like to do dry fire with empty gun with shooters first at home or someplace away from the range to get basic grip, stance and trigger pull mocked up safely.

It’s hard to hear people at most ranges with other gunfire, sensory overload for the student.

Electronic ear pro helps communication at the range and red dot sights are more intuitive than irons for most new shooters as well

User Tag List