Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My Wife Wants to Buy a Revolver for My 60th Birthday. HELP!

Site Supporter
    Lots of 38/357 already - branch out into the 22s or 32s. Look at the LCR line for both. Or go big, I would hanker for a SW Model 69 in 44 mag.

60th Birthday Wheelgun?

Your mileage may vary...

I read your OP and replies. So, for short barreled revolvers in celebration of 60 years I would want either a S&W M-27 3-1/2" barrel .357 or a 2-1/2" barrel vintage Colt Python, at minimum a 2-1/2" S&W M-19 or a 3" S&W M-65.

In any case I hope you find something that you will hold dear, and eventually pass along.

Best wishes,
    Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Your mileage may vary...

I read your OP and replies. So, for short barreled revolvers in celebration of 60 years I would want either a S&W M-27 3-1/2" barrel .357 or a 2-1/2" barrel vintage Colt Python, at minimum a 2-1/2" S&W M-19 or a 3" S&W M-65.
    The first two that you mentioned aren't going to be found for a kilobuck, not in today's world. Not unless you stumble across one at a rural yard sale, being sold by some old guy who bought his for $300 sixty years ago and thinks he made good money.

A lot of this, to my mind, depends on what cartridges the OP wants to shoot. If he thinks that he might have a desire to shoot lightweight, highspeed .357 rounds, then it's the M66-8, GP.100, Security/Speed Six. (Thanks to @Bruce Cartwright for mentioning the older Rugers elsewhere.)

(I don't know how the King Cobra or the K6S will stand up to heavy Magnum usage.)

Think out of the box

This might be an opportunity to entertain the idea of a different caliber. I went with a Glock 20 gen 4 10mm about a year ago, just to have an additional caliber in the stable. I mentioned in an earlier post about a handgun/long gun combination, once again feeding two firearms from the same caliber. That combination could be revolver/pistol with a long gun combo. A dual platform that use a common magazine between the two.

Like so many of us here, I don't need anything. But I continue to be on the lookout for something new that plucks my heartstring. Surf the web daily.......several times. An addiction from that started with that first whiff of spent gunpowder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    This might be an opportunity to entertain the idea of a different caliber. I went with a Glock 20 gen 4 10mm about a year ago, just to have an additional caliber in the stable. I mentioned in an earlier post about a handgun/long gun combination, once again feeding two firearms from the same caliber. That combination could be revolver/pistol with a long gun combo. A dual platform that use a common magazine between the two.

Like so many of us here, I don't need anything. But I continue to be on the lookout for something new that plucks my heartstring. Surf the web daily.......several times. An addiction from that started with that first whiff of spent gunpowder.

If we are changing calibers I'll change my want to this one at a gun store "down the road" from Fayetteville:
    Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 Mag 2.5" for $1,039.00:

It doesn't have an unfluted cylinder, but I'll manage to like it nonetheless.
    --Jason--

@Blades

You have good tastes and know what you want in a firearm! Thanks for the pic. I was actually looking at the S&W Governor online last night. Can shoot 45acp, 45LC, and .410 2.5" shells through that thing. Don't know how practical it would be though.

For .357 power in an auto pistol, 10 mm makes eminent sense. For cartridge commonality in an auto pistol and revolver, 10 mm makes eminent sense. As a stand-alone cartridge for a revolver, .357 provides greater variety, generally more reliable reloading (arguable-until your moonclips bend...).

Ballistically, .357 and 10 mm are about the same. My choice has been to stick with .357 for revolvers. There's simply more vetted support for it in revolver-world, at least at this point.

Best, Jon

And if you do add a new caliber to the stable, check first to make sure that ammo is available. Pointless to add a caliber where ammo is scarce to non-existant.

Site Supporter
    I have been intrigued for a while now by the idea of a GP-100 in 10mm. I am a big fan of Moonclips for revolver reloads ( my carry gun is a 386 NG lightly customized by TK Custom to take Moonclips). And silly me, I have never completely bought the '9mm is king' idea and a 40 cal revolver has a quirky kind of appeal. When ammo was at it's lowest I usually saw 10mm on the shelves and sometimes 40 S&W as well. Said Ruger will shoot both with those handy Moonclips.

YMMV,
    Dave

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I have been intrigued for a while now by the idea of a GP-100 in 10mm. I am a big fan of Moonclips for revolver reloads ( my carry gun is a 386 NG lightly customized by TK Custom to take Moonclips). And silly me, I have never completely bought the '9mm is king' idea and a 40 cal revolver has a quirky kind of appeal. When ammo was at it's lowest I usually saw 10mm on the shelves and sometimes 40 S&W as well. Said Ruger will shoot both with those handy Moonclips.

YMMV,
    Dave
    Buncha 10mms on GB, most with no bids.

That tells me something.

User Tag List