Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?

Always pick your nose before you trim your fingernails.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Shut you mouth and keep your eyes and ears open.

I don't remember exactly who I heard this from in the Army but it has served me well - Do what you think your rank can handle

From my Grandfather - "Can't" never could do nothin'
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Don't trust anybody who speaks in hyperbole or absolutes.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

“Shy bairn gets owt.” Buddy in the UK when I was a young salesman, made me a lot better.

Change what you can, accept what you can’t — Reinhold Niebuhr, paraphrased, heard and repeated a lot as a Ute.

I was agnostic when my wife started talking about going to RCIA (classes by which you explore Catholicism). I was giggling about it to my buddies and one of them, my future godfather as it turned out, said, “if you were any kind of man you’d go with her.” Very true, and the most important thing that ever happened to me.
    Ignore Alien Orders

From my Grandfather, given to me at age 11, while I was hand shoveling a dirt tank spillway on his New Mexico cattle ranch:

"Fill the back of your shovel".

Jesus, that advice fits more situations than I could possibly count, and has served me well.

You can be a manager from behind your desk. Leadership is done on your feet.

If you can be kinder, do it. There is never enough kindness in the world.

Always file/grind/cut on the cheapest part first.

All have worked for me well.

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 10-04-2021 at 04:08 AM.

First day at the first place I worked after finishing college:

“You don’t have to be an asshole to work here…. But it sure helps out a lot!”

Guy that told me that was one of the best mentors I ever had. He was joking, kind of, when he told me that. When I left the place I looked him up to thank him for the teaching. He shook my hand and repeated that line. We shared a good laugh because it was the very first thing he told me on m my very first day.

Listen more. Talk less.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When finished college my first job was at a coal mine in East Texas. The first day of work I was in the main office waiting to sign all my paperwork which included signing up for benefits. I had no idea what any of it meant and HR wasn't about to help me understand it. One of the company accountants was an old-timer, yellow-dog Democrat local that talked with an accent like James Carvel. He pulled me aside and said, "Young man you are about to sign up for benefits. Most of them don't mater, you're young so pick the best of everything because it is cheap. However, the one that maters is the 401k. Sign up for the maximum amount the IRS allows right now. Not only does the company match the first 10%, you are used to being poor so you'll never miss the money coming out of your paycheck."

This advice has served me well and I try to beat it into the heads of my students. Including having them work different retirement savings problems.

User Tag List