Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?

From Dad, I learned how to get things done in a big organization by being polite and friendly to the right people- the so called "underlings"-secretaries, receptionist, and so on*. A polite chat in person can get more done than many angry phone calls and emails.

From Mom, I learned to have a value of what my time is actually worth per hour, and plan accordingly.

From my senior year Sunday School teacher who was also a college math professor, I (finally) learned to do the unpleasant jobs first and well ahead of time.

From my time in PNG, I learned to embrace "it is what it is", and how to not get angry and frustrated over things I can neither change or control.

And from 9th grade, i learned typing on an electric typewriter- a skill that has served me probably better than most.

*never his term
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I don't believe in anything supernatural, psychic or whatever. However, I was driving to work and we were having a big meeting. I was incensed about something and was planning on making a BIG SPEECH!

So I turn on the radio and the rock station as the daily horoscope. It says:Sagittarius (me): Do not get up and make any big speeches today!

Hand of God! So I didn't. The issue blew over. All was well at work. That was good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    "Be nice to people, but don't let 'em shit on you."

I also like the advice Pete Blaber gives in his book:

"Don't get treed by a Chihuahua."

"Always listen to the guy on the ground."

And my favorite:
    "When in doubt, develop the situation."

I have heeded all of those at various times with positive results.
    That’s a great book.

Hammertime
    Don’t mess with the pancreas.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    My grandfather gave me the best advice I have ever recieved and I have tried to live by it.

“ If you don’t have time to do something right, what makes you think your going to have time to do it over?”

He was also fond of “ Good, Fast or Cheap…pick 2”

'Don't ever listen to anyone that brings up how long they've been doing something. The people that have been doing it right don't need to tell you they've been doing it 30 years, you'll know. I know guys been banging heroin 30 years, that don't make it a good idea.'

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    "Buy Gamestop."

While that was good advice, in all seriousness there's no one pearl of wisdom that changed my life. It was just the example my dad set every single day. Which can probably overly condensed down to "man up".

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Don’t mess with the pancreas.
    The people I learned that from used the rated R version of that saying!

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    'Don't ever listen to anyone that brings up how long they've been doing something. The people that have been doing it right don't need to tell you they've been doing it 30 years, you'll know. I know guys been banging heroin 30 years, that don't make it a good idea.'
    Some people have 30 years of experience and some people have 1 year of experience 30 times.

User Tag List