Thread: Is the RM04 decent?

Is the RM04 decent?

Anyone here have experience with the dual illumination RM04?

It would be for someone with a heavy astigmatism with the understanding that they would have to learn to immediately switch to backup irons when washout occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Anyone here have experience with the dual illumination RM04?

It would be for someone with a heavy astigmatism with the understanding that they would have to learn to immediately switch to backup irons when washout occurs.
    Yes. Absolutely.
    Most of the internet commentary about dual-fiber RMRs being total shit are due to people's poor experiences with the RM08 triangle RMR which is absolutely the shittiest and dimmest RMR ever made.

I have a fiber RM08 triangle and also a fiber RM04 circle and the RM04 is about 10x brighter (this is not an exaggeration).
    My first RMR was the triangle and I later found a great deal on a RM04 that I almost passed up but glad I didn't, I own 3 RM04s now.
    I spoke to a tech at Trijicon and there's something to how the reticle is shaped like a triangle where they need to occlude the fiber optic, thereby making it dim for that particular model.

The RM04 is almost too bright in direct sunlight and aiming from indoors to outdoors the dot is a little dim but no excessively so. The area I find the RM04 to be lacking is in total darkness, a pistol mounted light will wash out the dot on a white wall. The RM04 to me is the perfect light on a daytime CCW with no weaponlight.

Bumping this back up. @sickeness

I have a new SIG Rattler, and am putting an RMR on it using a ANVL UKON mount. There is a lot of appeal to one of the dual illumination models, but I’ve always been led to believe they are crap.

The ANVL UKON has vestigial backup irons. How badly does a RM04 wash out under low light (not total darkness) with a moderate power WML?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a couple RM04’s and run one on my primary carry gun. I don’t find them to wash out indoors when using a flashlight. Instead, it brightens up a lot from the spill off the light. I haven’t tried one with a weapon mounted light, so results may differ with a WML.

As mentioned above, I’ve also noted that the dot gets really bright in AZ mid day sun. The second RM04 I bought is quite a bit dimmer indoors than my first one. It has a higher serial than my first one, so I don’t think it is old tritium causing the discrepancy. Works fine outdoors so it went on a spare slide.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Bumping this back up. @sickeness

I have a new SIG Rattler, and am putting an RMR on it using a ANVL UKON mount. There is a lot of appeal to one of the dual illumination models, but I’ve always been led to believe they are crap.

The ANVL UKON has vestigial backup irons. How badly does a RM04 wash out under low light (not total darkness) with a moderate power WML?
    Honestly, on a pistol with an X300, I would probably prefer to use irons in full darkness. As the previous poster said, with a handheld, it's not bad at all. The sight to me is ideal for a handgun without WML. I will try and post pics this weekend if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Honestly, on a pistol with an X300, I would probably prefer to use irons in full darkness. As the previous poster said, with a handheld, it's not bad at all. The sight to me is ideal for a handgun without WML. I will try and post pics this weekend if I remember.
    Thanks - I should probably just hit the easy button and pick up a RM06, but there is something very appealing about the RM04 and I want to rule it out first.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

My experience with an early RM04 was that dot wash out was pretty bad particularly when standing in shadows and pointing out at brighter things. Much like what happens when you turn a weaponlight on a long(er) gun when in the darkness. I'd go 06.

Here's a picture of inside the house aiming outside onto a light background and a dark background.
    It's kind of overcast today so it's not blindingly bright outside though.

Name:  P_20211209_120737.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  50.3 KBName:  P_20211209_120945.jpg
Size:  48.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Here's a picture of inside the house aiming outside onto a light background and a dark background.
    It's kind of overcast today so it's not blindingly bright outside though.

Name:  P_20211209_120737.jpg
Size:  50.3 KBName:  P_20211209_120945.jpg
Size:  48.7 KB
    Thank you for those!
    Ken

User Tag List