Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson to Relocate Headquarters to Tennessee

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I’m sure the lock will be gone.

I can dream can’t I ?
    They're not moving their revolver manufacturing.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I’m sure the lock will be gone.

I can dream can’t I ?
    Yeah, I thin TN has a law about defacing firearms.
    😁
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Well, at least they may carry on with the same sketchy quality, instead of seeing it slip the way Beretta's Tennessee guns have been disappointing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Well that sucks.

I can’t believe that Taurus is providing a so far reliable revolver that both S&W and Ruger should be making.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Well, at least they may carry on with the same sketchy quality, instead of seeing it slip the way Beretta's Tennessee guns have been disappointing.
    Yeah. Have any of these moves resulted in better quality guns? Even in the long run?

I bet there are going to be fun times ahead for the plastic M&P. Nobody really expects much from their commercial-grade ARs, but the M&P was a safe bet that seems doomed to a few years of "2011 gen4 Glock"-level shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah. Have any of these moves resulted in better quality guns? Even in the long run?

I bet there are going to be fun times ahead for the plastic M&P. Nobody really expects much from their commercial-grade ARs, but the M&P was a safe bet that seems doomed to a few years of "2011 gen4 Glock"-level shenanigans.
    They're closing their injection-molding operation in CT, too.

It's certainly reasonable to expect that there will be significant teething problems with the new plant, even if they can persuade every worker in Massachusetts to pull up stakes and make the move. Which is by no means a sure thing.

If you have a hankering for a new Shield, M&P or Smith-made AR, you may want to buy one sooner rather than later.

Site Supporter
    I didn’t realize S&W made such a high percentage off of AR sales.

They're closing their injection-molding operation in CT, too.

It's certainly reasonable to expect that there will be significant teething problems with the new plant, even if they can persuade every worker in Massachusetts to pull up stakes and make the move. Which is by no means a sure thing.

If you have a hankering for a new Shield, M&P or Smith-made AR, you may want to buy one sooner rather than later.
    Interesting, I didn't know that's where their plastic-making stuff was.

Maybe they'll pull a Ruger and go all in on multiple, geographically-distributed facilities. Seems like Ruger makes a lot of their autos in AZ, their ARs in NC, their revolvers in NH, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know that's where their plastic-making stuff was.

Maybe they'll pull a Ruger and go all in on multiple, geographically-distributed facilities. Seems like Ruger makes a lot of their autos in AZ, their ARs in NC, their revolvers in NH, etc.
    This is their news release. They had a conference call this morning that was open to the public; I don't know how that went.

This is their news release. They had a conference call this morning that was open to the public; I don't know how that went.

Well shit then. There it is.

The facility in Springfield, Massachusetts will be reconfigured but will remain operational.
    Smith & Wesson will keep some of its manufacturing operations in Springfield, Massachusetts, including all forging, machining, metal finishing, and assembly of revolvers, and will continue to have over 1,000 employees in the state.
    The new facility will be built in Maryville, Tennessee and will comprise of the company's headquarters, plastic injection molding, pistol and long gun assembly, and distribution.

Total investment in the project is estimated at $120 million, will be funded from cash on hand, and is expected to be accretive to EPS by $0.10 to $0.12 per year once fully operational.
    Construction in Maryville, Tennessee is expected to begin in the calendar fourth quarter of 2021 and be substantially complete by the summer of 2023.
    Upwards of 750 jobs will move from Springfield, Massachusetts; Deep River, Connecticut; and Columbia, Missouri to Maryville, Tennessee.
    The company's plastic injection molding facility in Deep River, Connecticut, which services both Smith & Wesson as well as a significant number of external customers, will be sold. The Smith & Wesson portion of the operations will be moved to the new facility in Maryville, Tennessee, however, the external customer business will remain in Connecticut and will be divested.
    The company's distribution operations in Columbia, Missouri will be moved to the new facility in Maryville, Tennessee, and the Columbia, Missouri facility will be marketed for sublease.
    The relocation will have no impact on the company's operations in Houlton, Maine.
    I think the Missouri distribution facility is a recent thing. I seem to remember Debney mentioning it on a call back in 2018, but I sold all my AOBC and quit paying attention shortly afterwards.

User Tag List