Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best division for new shooter

Best division for new shooter

I am looking to get into some local USPSA matches, I have equipment to shoot in production or limited 10 divison (non free state) what would you guys suggest I shoot in to get my bearing on how things work and learn the basics, I would be shooting minor in the limited 10 division.i have been practicing dry fire with strikeman training system in both setups.

Welcome to Pistol-Forum! I think you should shoot some matches with the gear you have. Lim10 minor isn't going to be competitive, but you will probably be the only one shooting Lim10 anyway. Get some on-the-ground advice before buying more gear.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Because I live in a mag capacity state isn't L10 the only limited divison available? I am not to concerned about my score in the beginning just to learn the ropes, I kinda feel in a weird spot I shoot better as far as point of impact with my production gun ( VP9 I have had for 6 years) but I handle and manipulate my limited gun way faster ( sig 1911 max)

Ah, bummer about the mag limit. My bias is for Production because I like the challenge of low cap minor.

You can see division breakdown on PractiScore.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

With what you have described it sounds like Production is what you are going to want. L10 would just put you at a scoring disadvantage for the same work. Unless I am thinking of another gun, your sig max should be single stack legal. That could also be an option if you favor that gun more.

You can still shoot limited, many NY guys I shoot with still prefer it over L10, however yes your are still stuck with 10 rounds and you will risk getting screwed over on classifiers without mandatory reloads.

It’s cliche but it’s true. Shoot what you have and then if you love it you can get a gun tailored for the division. Based off what you have production seems to be the best choice. Unless your gun is a 2011 or something that isn’t production legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsal86 View Post
    Because I live in a mag capacity state isn't L10 the only limited divison available? I am not to concerned about my score in the beginning just to learn the ropes, I kinda feel in a weird spot I shoot better as far as point of impact with my production gun ( VP9 I have had for 6 years) but I handle and manipulate my limited gun way faster ( sig 1911 max)
    In a limited state you can still shoot any division, just with reduced capacity but still with whatever the division allows.
    Open still gets you a compensator and scope, CO the scope.
    Limited, L10, and SS are equivalent and Production not far behind.

What does your Sig lack on "point of impact"? Can you not zero it or do you just get larger groups?

Shoot one or the other and don't worry about Minor scoring.

Everybody there is in the same boat, you don't have the Internet Expert Advice that you are not smart enough to reload your gun and should shoot Limited Minor in a Production capable gun like your VP9. Pay attention and learn to "break down the stage" so that you are reloading at the most advantageous times, usually on the move with no targets in sight.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    In a limited state you can still shoot any division, just with reduced capacity but still with whatever the division allows.
    Open still gets you a compensator and scope, CO the scope.
    Limited, L10, and SS are equivalent and Production not far behind.

What does your Sig lack on "point of impact"? Can you not zero it or do you just get larger groups?

Shoot one or the other and don't worry about Minor scoring.

Everybody there is in the same boat, you don't have the Internet Expert Advice that you are not smart enough to reload your gun and should shoot Limited Minor in a Production capable gun like your VP9. Pay attention and learn to "break down the stage" so that you are reloading at the most advantageous times, usually on the move with no targets in sight.
    My groups are bigger with my Sig and I feel like I am adjusting the sights every time I use it to get it where I want to be, my VP9 I can pick up any day an not have to worry where I am hitting, I have also put 5x more rounds through my VP9 so its not to surprising..and I never really looked into SS division but I may start to.

You may shoot the VP9 you are more familiar with or work to get better with the Sig.
    Whichever, pick one and stay with it. I find flip flopping guns every week or so is harmful to performance. Early days in IDPA I shot the same gun for a year at a time, then changed divisions for the next year.
    My USPSA gun is one of two 2011s, now usually the .45 in L10 because I have more large primers than small.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Just reading this thread it is obvious to me that you are more comfortable/confident w/ the VP9 so I'd go w/ it. The last thing you want to do is look at a score and think, dang I could have done better w/ my other gun. It doesn't matter how it fits into whatever class for at least your first 6 months or so. Go, shoot, listen, ask questions, and have a blast. Picking a gun for a division can happen next year.

User Tag List