Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best division for new shooter

The classic advice is to just shoot Limited Minor so you can fill your mags all the way up and not have to worry about reloading as much at first.

But since you're limited to 10rd mags anyhow, just shoot Production IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsal86 View Post
    My groups are bigger with my Sig and I feel like I am adjusting the sights every time I use it to get it where I want to be, my VP9 I can pick up any day an not have to worry where I am hitting, I have also put 5x more rounds through my VP9 so its not to surprising..and I never really looked into SS division but I may start to.
    Sounds like you have your answer. I recommend shooting the VP9 in Production or Lim/Lim10 minor.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Dsal86 View Post
    My groups are bigger with my Sig and I feel like I am adjusting the sights every time I use it to get it where I want to be, my VP9 I can pick up any day an not have to worry where I am hitting, I have also put 5x more rounds through my VP9 so its not to surprising..and I never really looked into SS division but I may start to.
    Shoot production with your VP9. There's no reason to do L10.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Hmph.

I joined USPSA in late 2019. The next match (November) was canceled because of weather. I couldn't shoot the March '20 match. Then came the pandemic.

Local matches started up a few months ago. The outdoor ones seem to coincide with family/\/friend events, as people are trying to get in the time they missed. The indoor ones, well, standing around in an indoor range with thirty or so semi-strangers does not appeal to me; especially since new variants keep popping up. The vaccines supposedly would keep me from severe illness/death, but I'd rather not get sick at all. Especially since as I can now visit my nearly 98 year-old mother after losing well over a year of visits, I'm not gambling on contracting Covid.

Bottom line: Dropping another $40 for membership seems foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Hmph.

I joined USPSA in late 2019. The next match (November) was canceled because of weather. I couldn't shoot the March '20 match. Then came the pandemic.

Local matches started up a few months ago. The outdoor ones seem to coincide with family/\/friend events, as people are trying to get in the time they missed. The indoor ones, well, standing around in an indoor range with thirty or so semi-strangers does not appeal to me; especially since new variants keep popping up. The vaccines supposedly would keep me from severe illness/death, but I'd rather not get sick at all. Especially since as I can now visit my nearly 98 year-old mother after losing well over a year of visits, I'm not gambling on contracting Covid.

Bottom line: Dropping another $40 for membership seems foolish.
    BTW, you don't have to be a member of USPSA to shoot local matches. Just show up and shoot. You would not get classified but that doesn't matter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sounds like you have your answer. I recommend shooting the VP9 in Production or Lim/Lim10 minor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Shoot production with your VP9. There's no reason to do L10.
    Thirded.

The first most important thing at a match is to not put holes in people, then not in things you don’t mean to. Then, the most important thing is to put the holes in the targets exactly where you mean to.

Speed of shooting and manipulations comes way down the list, especially in comparison to safe shooting and manipulation from a beginner.

I always recommend new shooters get their bearings shooting limited minor or carry optics, although its rare that a new shooter has a gun for CO.

While production sounds new shooter friendly, it's by far one of the hardest divisions in the sport (besides revolver but there are only 3-4 of those guys in the country). Minor PF and low cap leaves such a thin margin for error and stage planning/execution is exponentially harder with the added reloads, 10 round arrays with small steel targets that will make you go to slide lock, etc. If they ever went to production 15 or 140mm mags, it would make it a better starting spot for new shooters, but I would rather people learn to just run around the stage and plan efficiently with 1 reload than try to cram in 3-4 reloads, worry about round count, etc.

Go with the one you currently shoot the best.

Or the one you have the most ammo for.

Or the one that looks the coolest.

Or the one that is closest to the inside of the safe door.

Or the one you like the best.

It doesn't matter.

Because if you stay in competition, chances are 99 in a 100 that in a year you will be shooting a different gun (and in likely a different division) than where you start.

Just get started, get out on the range, observe, ask questions, and learn.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m a nobody (not even classified yet). But I’d say dip a toe and use what you have. If you enjoy it then plan around it, but you may go to one match and never want to do it again (for whatever reason).

Before joining or buying gear I’d just shoot a match. I went a bit different route but that’s because I wanted to incorporate RDS anyway in my carry gun.

ETA: It didn’t remain my carry gun but anyway - you get what I’m after here.

I forgot to add - I agree with this.
    Last edited by BWT; 11-05-2021 at 01:22 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List