Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: L’Amour is like a fine wine

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I just started reading it. It’s fantastic. The mountain men and trappers were hard men.
    Yup. Notice how similar his and L’Amour’s writing styles are?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup. Notice how similar his and L’Amour’s writing styles are?
    Yes it also reminds me of Six Years With the Texas Rangers by James Gillette.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Okay, I need a change of venue with my reading...so I'm gonna embark on some Louis L'Amour and see where it takes me.

Should be a nice change of scenery.
    Start with Sacketts Land and then work your way through the family history. I’ll send you the series in paperback if you’ll send it back when you’re done. You’ll also read some history while you’re there. The saga has everything from sword fighting to sea voyages to ranches to hidden gold!

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Start with Sacketts Land and then work your way through the family history. I’ll send you the series in paperback if you’ll send it back when you’re done. You’ll also read some history while you’re there. The saga has everything from sword fighting to sea voyages to ranches to hidden gold!

No need to do so...but thank you for the kind offer. I'm already a good way through the current read, and enjoying the diversion from the kinds of things I've been reading for a while.

It's like visiting an old friend from my youth...and the kind of stuff I grew up on.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yep, I started reading Lamour 3-4 years ago. Think I've read probably 90% of his work. There are several other western writers that I like also. I think what I like most about westerns in general is that the lead character is always a good guy who always deals w/ the bad guys in a way I wish we could today. I know there were a lot of people killed over stupid arguments, but there were also a lot killed that needed killed. No in jail forever except when they get out early. No psychiatrists needed to defend a--holes. No 15 years of jail before finally being brought to a 3 month long trial at taxpayer expense. I also like to read military, spy, some apocalypse series etc. So I will read 1-2-3 of those and then come back to a good western for a dose of a good guy living right, overcoming the bad guys, and getting the girl in the end..

Site Supporter
    I'm surprised to read through 8 pages about L/Amour and no mention of Chick Bowdrie (that I saw)! I actually first heard about Bowdrie through the dramatizations produced by Bantam Doubleday. I remember listening to the cassettes over and over when I was younger. Unfortunately I didn't have them all, and ended up losing them through moves. Imagine my excitement when I found collections on Audible. I enjoy all of L'Amour's short stories as well as the standard novels, but Bowdrie stories were always my favorites. Anyone who enjoys that books I would highly encourage you to check out the dramatized short stories on Audible. Well worth it!

Last of the Breed was very good.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Finished a couple over the past couple of days...

"The Key-Lock Man" last night.

And a couple of nights ago "Last Stand at Papago Wells".

They were a nice respite...but I don't think I can take a steady diet.

It'll be nice to add one or two in between other books as a breather and a return to (much) simpler themes and outcomes.

It does make me recall my previous travels in the areas described...and I enjoy envisioning those places in my mind's eye.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List