Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L’Amour is like a fine wine

L’Amour is like a fine wine

Keeps getting better with age. From The Daybreakers.

Violence is an evil thing, but when the guns are all in the hands of the men without respect for human rights, then men are really in trouble. It was all right for folks back east to give reasons why trouble should be handled without violence. Folks who talk about no violence are always the ones who are first to call a policeman, and usually they are sure there’s one handy.
    #RESIST

Literally grew up reading him. Son's name just happens to be the same as one of the characters he wrote about. He was a genius and a fine writer.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Literally grew up reading him.
    Same here. With a few rare exceptions I stopped reading westerns after I finished all of L'amours books. Many of his books I read more than once.

If anyone knows of any authors that come close to L'amour I'd be interested

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Same here. With a few rare exceptions I stopped reading westerns after I finished all of L'amours books. Many of his books I read more than once.

If anyone knows of any authors that come close to L'amour I'd be interested
    Try this. Non fiction and it’s spooky how he wrote like L’Amour. It’s an amazing read.
    #RESIST

Never heard of him...any good?

Edit: For those who didn't know - they've been re-releasing portions of Louis L'amour's library with additional chapters/notes from when he wrote the books. They're doing a few a year. I bought about a dozen of them for my dad before he passed. He really liked the additional info.

As you can see below, I have almost the entire collection. I am missing about half a dozen volumes total.

Name:  9C0C0960-EBC4-4BA3-948F-9AC79EB35318.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  32.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Try this. Non fiction and it’s spooky how he wrote like L’Amour. It’s an amazing read.
    Much appreciated

.99 cents on kindle, starting to read now!

I always thought of LL's books as sport reading, something that kept my interest and passed the time. Over the years I think I've read almost everything he wrote several times.

Recently I found a virtual treasure trove of westerns at the library. They are published by 'Five Star' and are labeled as such on the top of the spine. I just go to the new arrivals shelf and pick out the ones so labeled. That has led me to a lot of different authors that aren't as mainstream as Ralph Cotton or Elmer Kelton, for example.

A couple of my favorite Five Star authors are Johnny Boggs, Paul Colt, and Ethan Wolfe, there are a good number of others, but these are authors that I've went looking for their other books.

Quite by accident I picked up a book by B. M. Bower ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._M._Bower ) that had a copyright date of 1921. On a whim I checked out Cow Country and enjoyed the read, so much so that I started buying her books on Amazon - waiting for my first two.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

The three most influential authors of my life are L'amour, Heinlein and Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    The three most influential authors of my life are L'amour, Heinlein and Cooper.
    I'd go with L'amour, John D. MacDonald and the "Fireside" books by Sports Afield writer Gene Hill as my top three.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I'm sure I'll catch flak for this; I haven't read any of his western books, BUT two of my favorite books of all time are his The Walking Drum and The last of the Breed books.

Looks like I need to read some of his western books.

User Tag List