Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are the most valuable tools for consistency/precison in handloads?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s like a lot of things...

The goal is 100% right? The biggest improvement you will see comes with the first 75-80%. Above that, the ROI (as it were) exponentially decreases. At a certain point, outside factors and your inability (and skill) to control them become greater than the percentage of gain from doing one (or many/all) of those remaining tasks above the 75-80%. Think about this for a minute: if I remember right, the top of the apogee on a .308 at a nominal velocity is somewhere around 60’ AGL at its highest point. What the wind is doing in your particular location at that moment and at that altitude is something you’re never going to be able to control. Sure, if you practice and become skilled enough you can whittle away at that effect. However for most of us, it is something that will never be obtained.

Chasing that which cannot be obtained becomes a exercise in frustration. Me? I’ll be content to lay in a pasture, ding some steel, scratch my head at the failures, then go have a beer.

Everyone is different.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    It’s like a lot of things...

The goal is 100% right? The biggest improvement you will see comes with the first 75-80%. Above that, the ROI (as it were) exponentially decreases. At a certain point, outside factors and your inability (and skill) to control them become greater than the percentage of gain from doing one (or many/all) of those remaining tasks above the 75-80%. Think about this for a minute: if I remember right, the top of the apogee on a .308 at a nominal velocity is somewhere around 60’ AGL at its highest point. What the wind is doing in your particular location at that moment and at that altitude is something you’re never going to be able to control. Sure, if you practice and become skilled enough you can whittle away at that effect. However for most of us, it is something that will never be obtained.

Chasing that which cannot be obtained becomes a exercise in frustration. Me? I’ll be content to lay in a pasture, ding some steel, scratch my head at the failures, then go have a beer.

Everyone is different.
    So you're saying I should get a 6.5 Creedmoor? J/K

You are 100% right. I have reconciled with myself that the 308 is not going to be a that laser that I was hoping for (vs the newer calibers). However the silver lining may though it is not a laser, it may be a good teacher. It will show me how good I am at reading wind. I probably won't be an awesome long distance shooter, but I hope to be better than what I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I mainly reload for mass amounts of ammo (Dillon XL650) and occasionally for hunting (RBCS Rockchucker). I have a good understanding of for load development and doing precision measurements. What I am not sure about is what gives the best value to insure consistency and precision while handloading. Below are some items I am looking at but haven't gotten yet. I will give a fake dollar value based on their real cost and give you a budget of $26 (sorta like fantasy football but with reloading). I'm willing to pay more for automated/higher production options vs. lower cost/slower options. Unfortunately, I have more money than time.

Automated annealer (ie AMP annealer) $14
    Single stage press (ie Co-AX) $5
    Motorized Trimer (ie Giraud or like) $5
    Match Die set (Redding etc) $2
    Top quality powder measure/scale (ie RCBS Chargemaster Match) $9
    Something else: $5

So what would be your lineup?
    Look up Erik Cortina on YouTube

Knows more about reloading than myself, or anyone posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Look up Erik Cortina on YouTube

Knows more about reloading than myself, or anyone posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been looking at his videos when he was mentioned earlier. A lot of great tips.

User Tag List