Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI- good inflatable kayak

RFI- good inflatable kayak

As I consider my upcoming Florida summer, I regret that I have yet to paddle around some of the lakes, rivers, canals, and other watery locations of the Sunshine State.

So, I would like to possibly purchase an inflatable kayak of some sort, something durable that can store easily, yet transport my 205 lbs over the water.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-28-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I've used one of the cheapo Coleman ones and a high end Sea Eagle. The Sea Eagle resembles a hard kayak in performance, the Coleman was more like an inner tube with a closed bottom, i.e. no tracking, tons of drag, and super wide sidewalls which make it hard to row efficiently.

I have a buddy in Texas who loves his Advanced Elements kayak but I have yet to see it in person.

The Aire Traveler is my go to moose hunting inflatable.

https://www.aire.com/product-category/kayaks/

Name:  A9FD1436-6E0E-4C08-B9FA-095C0F89DF25.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  82.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I didn’t know that I need an inflatable kayak…until now. Fuck.
    #RESIST

If you’re willing to pay for performance, the Pakboats folders might be worth a look.

https://www.pakboats.com/folding-kayaks/

We’ve had good luck with the Tributary brand (Aire’s budget line). Between 3 families we’ve had two of the Tomcat tandems and 1 Sawtooth for about 6 years now. No issues with any of them. The Sawtoooth has a removeable skeg and paddles/tracks well solo or tandem in the flatter water. For reference I’m 6’ and 215lbs.

If you end with any inflatable I cannot recommend the K pump highly enough for inflating up your boat.

Advanced Elements have been great for us.

+10 on the K-pump
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Though not kayaks, stand up paddle boards (SUPs) allow you to stand, kneel, sit, or lie down (think peeking over the edge, almost like snorkeling) and for casual paddling and exploring nature I much prefer them to being locked into an unhealthy sitting position for hours.

I have a couple of iRocker Nautical 10’6” inflatables, and they’ve been great.

Don't know if they're still around, but I have a Sevylor I've used for years in the Everglades, mangroves around Key Biscayne and locally in NC.

Held up well to the elements.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Cool, looks like it has low drag (flow resistance).

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a Sevylor I've used for years in the Everglades

Also very nice! At least in Germany, it's available. Funny, both in PF color!
    Last edited by P30; 09-28-2021 at 08:15 AM.

User Tag List