Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 In Local IDPA Match

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    @JonInWA

Try Moleskin. Stickier than bandaids in awkward places and the smooth surface won't catch or bind.

That Ruger is Beautiful with the cherry grips.
    That's an excellent suggestion-I'm definitely going to try the moleskin at the abrasion point on my thumb base next match with it.

Best, Jon

I would think hard G10 would negate one of the best parts of the GP100 design - the grip peg. Using Letts or the non finger grooved Hogue’s the hand is insulated from anything hard and unforgiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My first thought about the rust in the cylinder tunnel is active bluing salts remaining from the process used to create that beautiful bluing. I hope Ruger can solve the issue without destroying that gorgeous bluing. My second thought was a question about whether the rust is also the cause of the issues with the ISMI spring.

In any event, awesome writeup.
    Thanks-and I'm suspecting exactly the same thing at this point, that retained blueing salts are causing the rust, and that the rust may be the causal factor for both the ISMI spring light strike issues and may exacerbate any powder/GSR blowback causing the binding. Obviously SOMEHING is going on inside to cause the issues I've experienced, and at this point I'm doubting it's the ISMI spring, at least in and of itself. The unfortunate reality is that this problem has probably quietly festering for years, possibly since the custom blueing was done in the 1998 timeframe, despite my maintenance, cleaning and lubrication protocols.

I guess the extent of it will determine Ruger's treatment, and unfortunately the most cost-effective solution might be simply to proactively replace the cylinder. Beyond the custom blueing, Chris Peters had hand-selected the cylinder for my gun, and had additionally provided the terraced ejector, chamfered the chambers, polished the ejector rod, deburred the ejector guide pins, and deburred the chamber necks. My suspicion is that the crane shaft will concurrently need to be treated/replaced as well, as the rust had begun to pit the end of the shaft.

In recent years, Ruger has changed the ejector and the cylinder flutes as well. Obviously, It's essential to have a functioning gun, but I'm hoping the aesthetics can be preserved in the repair process, but I'm not sanguine.

I recall that when Chris performed the magnificent work on my GP100, he and his bluer went round and round on the work the bluer had none, and Chris demanded that the blueing be redone. So there's the possibility of a resentful bluer and a double dose of blueing salt accumulation....

We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted. Ruger Customer Service is estimating about a month or so until I have it back, but I'd rather have a longer repair period than a quick fix.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-16-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I would think hard G10 would negate one of the best parts of the GP100 design - the grip peg. Using Letts or the non finger grooved Hogue’s the hand is insulated from anything hard and unforgiving.
    That's a fair point. In favor of the VZ grips in my use so far is their shape and weight as recoil force mitigators, but I'll see and continue to objectively evaluate.

Best, Jon

I showed and discussed the blistering at the base of my thumb when firing full-house .357 magnum cartridges with my dermatologist. She echoed the recommendation for moleskin protection and padding at the pressure point. Got some on order, and when the GP100 gets bacfk from Ruger I'm looking forward to running it with the moleskin applied.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I showed and discussed the blistering at the base of my thumb when firing full-house .357 magnum cartridges with my dermatologist. She echoed the recommendation for moleskin protection and padding at the pressure point. Got some on order, and when the GP100 gets bacfk from Ruger I'm looking forward to running it with the moleskin applied.

Best, Jon
    I'm as smart as a DOCTOR!!

Site Supporter
    It's 2021 bro, you and everyone else on the internet [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Well, at least as an expereinced PA....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    Applied to what, you or the gun?

A friend wanted more traction on a Glock and got Talon grit instead of the rubber that I use.
    That generated a hotspot in short order. Lacking tools at the range, she was rubbing the grit down under her thumb knuckle with a rock. It worked, traction with comfort.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Applied to what, you or the gun?

A friend wanted more traction on a Glock and got Talon grit instead of the rubber that I use.
    That generated a hotspot in short order. Lacking tools at the range, she was rubbing the grit down under her thumb knuckle with a rock. It worked, traction with comfort.
    Applied to me, on the inside the base of my strong hand thumb, where the blistering occurs:

Best, Jon

User Tag List