Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O3RN's A Genius

O3RN's A Genius

Ok, the hardest part about carrying a revolver concealed for me isn't so much the revolver per se, but how to carry adequate and adequately positioned reloading devices without looking like you're hooked up to a colostomy bag. Especially if wearing a bulky vest or jacket is unavailable or socially/situationally inappropriate.

In a previous thread recently, I queried 03RN about what appeared to be an interesting IWB speedloader holder. Turns out what he had used was simply (and the genius is in both the simplicity and the applied repositioning) of a Safariland CD-2 Speed Loader holder; https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Sp...dp/B001C752Z8/ which is essentially what appears to be a stamped spring steel sheet metal piece, epoxy paint coated, and with a piece of padded tape for "speedloader stability" (which shows promise of lasting for <5 speedloader insertions and extractions....but it's not critical).

The holder is designed to clip on a belt, facing outboard. What 03RN realized is that it can be flipped around an used as either an IWB or a between-the-belt-and-pant positioning. Getting one (my cost was $10 'Murrican) and experimenting, I found that the ideal positioning (and certainly the easiest) was with the between-the-belt-and-pants application, kind of a quasi IWB.

It works with HKS, Safariland Comp 1,2, and 3 speedloaders, and doubtlessly others similarly dimensioned. Use with a Comp 2 for concealment seems to be the sweet spot; with the similarly-sized HKS, when retrieving, you need to make sure that you grasp by the speedloader body and not the knob to avoid accidently activating during the draw process; in that respect, the Comp 2 is a bit more stable (but my Security Six with the Trausch grips requires HKS speedloaders due to their reduced size to adequately cleat the thumb strakes of the left grip).

With my experimentation so far, the speedloader seems decent stable and not prone to being dislodged in daily use. When positioned close to the holster (in front of the holster), it takes advantage of the holster/belt interface, and conceals quite nicely-and comfortably (especially with the BTBAP arrangement).

I like having at least one credible speedloader for concealed carry backup, and will likely supplement with at least one Speed Strip, with the Speed Strip(s) contained in an easy-to-access pouch. To me, while I'll likely never need to access a significant number of revolver reloads in actual probable use, this setup is preferable than just relying on Speed Strips.

Kudos, and thanks, 03RN. Great idea.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Name:  IMG_20230101_205001.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  37.1 KB

Glad it's working for you and thanks.

I initially was using a jox carrier but didn't like how it got pushed out. I had these CD-2s for competitions and it just dawned on me to try it iwb in that gap ahead of the holster.

And I just found out that it fits a .45acp moon clip. Now I just need an n frame aiwb holster.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

And, some images, with a GP100 in a Kramer horsehide IWB with a Safariland Comp 2 in the Safariland CD-2 Speedloader Holder:

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  IMG_20230101_205001.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  37.1 KB

Glad it's working for you and thanks.

I initially was using a jox carrier but didn't like how it got pushed out. I had these CD-2s for competitions and it just dawned on me to try it iwb in that gap ahead of the holster.

And I just found out that it fits a .45acp moon clip. Now I just need an n frame aiwb holster.
    03RN:

A Sparks Summer Special works well for an inside the waistband N frame holster. I suspect you could use it in the appendix position because the position of the belt loops can be adjusted by loosening the retaining screws.

If you don't mind, would you tell us what kind of pouch fits a 445 ACP moon clip? I have had no luck solving that problem so far. Thanks in advance.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    03RN:

A Sparks Summer Special works well for an inside the waistband N frame holster. I suspect you could use it in the appendix position because the position of the belt loops can be adjusted by loosening the retaining screws.

If you don't mind, would you tell us what kind of pouch fits a 445 ACP moon clip? I have had no luck solving that problem so far. Thanks in advance.

Bruce
    Anything that fits a k frame speed loader should fit
    Name:  IMG_20230201_141117.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  54.9 KB

Dale Frick seems to have a n frame aiwb I might try. Not sure since carrying an n frame aiwb almost makes me laugh

And they sell them on Amazon

This shall now be the "03RN Special"
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Anything that fits a k frame speed loader should fit
    Name:  IMG_20230201_141117.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  54.9 KB

Dale Frick seems to have a n frame aiwb I might try. Not sure since carrying an n frame aiwb almost makes me laugh
    03RN:

Many thanks. That is a great piece of "outside the box thinking." Learning has occurred.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Now I just need an n frame aiwb holster.
    Will this work for you? Ignore the holster picture which is obviously generic.

https://stealthgearusa.com/smith-and...x-iwb-holster/

In a pinch I have bent and molded left handed OWB holster to be IWB right hand holsters. Same thing for flipping OWB to IWB mag pouches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    03RN:

Many thanks. That is a great piece of "outside the box thinking." Learning has occurred.

Bruce
    It's my pleasure. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Will this work for you? Ignore the holster picture which is obviously generic.

https://stealthgearusa.com/smith-and...x-iwb-holster/

In a pinch I have bent and molded left handed OWB holster to be IWB right hand holsters. Same thing for flipping OWB to IWB mag pouches.
    Thank you. I think I might try Dale Frick first. I like the smooth minimal profile of his stuff. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll try a stealth gear.

User Tag List